Joyce asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

What do I need to know if I am going to purchase a cat in the U.S. and bring him back over the canadian border?

My boyfriend and I are looking for a specific kind of cat but we don't have any for sale in our area. We're not far from the border and we have seen some ads for this cat in the U.S. Has anyone adopted a pet from one country and brought them over the border back into their country? What do you need to know at the border?

Favorite Answer

The other commenter is right but left out a lot of info. The Canada Food Inspection agency is who handles the laws and transfer of animals into Canada. If your buying from a reputable breeder they should be able to help you w/ all the info as well. They should also include rabies 3 yr vaccine if over 3 months old to assure you can get the cat across the border.

If it's under 3 months old and has papers verifying birth date then it's going to be easier to get it across the boarder as it wont need to be quarantined. Cats under three (3) months of age do not require vaccination against rabies.

If the cat is over 3 months or you don't have papers stating definite age it will be required to have a rabies shot. The USA is not on the list of rabies free countries according to Canada guidelines (I gave link below) so you will need it before entering or at customs border. The certificate should identify the animals as to breed, colour, weight, etc., and indicate the name of the licensed rabies vaccine used (trade name), including serial number and the duration of its validity (up to three years).

Cats and dogs imported into Canada will have a documentary inspection by Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to ensure the vaccination is current and the animal description matches. During this visual inspection, CBSA ensures that there is no visible signs of illness. In certain cases, dogs and cats imported will require a Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) inspection for which CFIA inspection fees apply. The fee must be paid at the time of inspection.

For additional information on CBSA fees please visit their website.

The current fees are:

* $30.00 + tax for the first animal in the shipment; and

* $5.00 + tax for each additional animal in the shipment.

Good luck and hope this helped.

Best thing to do is call customs and they'll give you the info you need. I believe that you will have to have the cat examined before crossing the border, and you will need to have the health certificate with you (stating that the cat is healthy).

There is probably a time restriction on the certificate, so make sure that you have the exam done no sooner than a week before crossing the border. Also, the Rabies vaccine must be up-to-date. For adult cats, that means within the last 12 months. Because you can't give the Rabies vacc to kittens less then 12 weeks of age, they are exempt from that.

I've talked to a lot of clients who have travelled to the States for the winter and taken their pets with them. Everyone agrees that the U.S customs is pretty relaxed, whereas the Canadian agents are really thorough - I believe its because there is more Rabies in the U.S then in Canada and we can't afford to have unvaccinated pets come into Canada. Also, most clients say that most of the time, the agents never ask for the pets paperwork. I think that if your pet looks healthy, they're not going to give you a hard time. Of course, the only time they will ask is when you're not prepared......

Your cat will be hesitant for at least a week after you bring her home from the shelter. As for her being apprehensive to jump on your lap, each cat is different and have unique personalities. Some are attention hogs while others are aloof and totally independent. I too, got my cat from the Humane Society when she was 9 months old. The first day I had her, she hid in my pantry in a box most of the day. She warmed up real quick, and now she's just a big fluff ball of love. Congrats on getting a kitty, and please stay patient and show her plenty of love!!!

Funny enough, this is handled by the Canadian food inspection agency! And yes, you can bring a kitten back under 3 months old without any issues. Older cats require a vaccination certificate signed by a lic'd vet.