? asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

Operating system software questions..?

Okay so i've been absent from school for two weeks with pneumonia :(

I just returned and we have a IT test next week... and delaying the test isn't an option, have already discusssed with head of department.

I missed out on all the stuff we had done in-class. I've been able to find my most of the information in my textbooks but need help with the following section which i couldn't find... thanks heaps in advance, any help appreciated

1. Give an example of a non-Microsoft OS which manages all security settings from a central computer in a network.

2. Give an example of a popular OS which doesn't have a licensing agreement associated with it.

3. How is an OEM license for an OS acquired?

4. What does "competitive upgrade" mean in relation to OSs?

5. If you are buying a second-hand PC, what should you check to ensure you are in legal compliance with the OS manufacturer?

6. How would you go about checking if a particular Hewlett Packard printer will run under a particular Windows OS?

7. Why shouldn't the installation of a server OS such as Windows 2003 Server take place in an operational network?

8. Why is Linux referred to as an open source OS?

9. Why is a clean install of an OS more desirable than re-installing over an existing OS?

10. Explain the meaning of "virtual memory" in your own words.

Favorite Answer

Good luck.

I'd comment that number 5. is not a valid question. You can buy a PC in any condition, and install your own OS. You only have to comply with the OS manufacturer if you wish to use the OS, and you should do that by checking that it is validated (assuming you're buying the licence) and registering it to yourself.

number 7. - because engineers would avoid using Windows 2003 Server in favour of something better - like Centos maybe.

8. The OS is open sourced, that's why!

9. It isn't, it depends on the circumstances. Sometimes it is desirable to remove any possibility of old files and settings interfering with the new installation.

Boring stuff isn't it?

If you are running a Windows based system, just right click the "Computer" icon on your desk top or in the Start Menu and choose "Properties".