What is the difference between an Alaskan Husky and a Siberian Husky?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The Siberian Husky and the Alaskan Malamute are purebred dogs. The Husky is faster and the Malamute is stronger. These to breeds were combined to get the best of both breeds. The result was the Alaskan Husky. I have a close friend that shows and breeds malamutes, and I asked her this myself a while back.

• "Alaskan Huskies are usually somewhat larger than Siberian Huskies. Alaskan Huskies are usually leaner in build than Siberians. Siberians often have blue or any combination of blue and brown eyes, where as Alaskan Huskies often have brown eyes.

Alaskan Huskies are primarily bred as working dogs. They have greater endurance in sled racing than Siberian Huskies do."

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/alaskanhusky.htm

• 1 decade ago

Siberian Husky is a pure bred recognized breed of nordic working breed...the Alaskan husky is basically a functional crossbreed but not a recognized breed.

Source(s): 4 Siberian Huskies, 2 mal mixes
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Siberian Husky is a purebred dog. The Alaskan Husky is a type of working dog, mostly mixed with Sibes, and hounds.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A Siberian husky is a standard, AKC-recognized breed. Because they are only medium-sized, they are sometimes bred with larger dogs for mushing. The mixes are loosely termed "Alaskan huskies".

• 1 decade ago

I dont know... Alask'er!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.