? asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

Operating Systems Software?

1. Give an example of a non-Microsoft OS which manages all security settings from a central computer in a network.

2. Give an example of a popular OS which doesn't have a licensing agreement associated with it.

3. How is an OEM license for an OS acquired?

4. What does "competitive upgrade" mean in relation to OSs?

5. If you are buying a second-hand PC, what should you check to ensure you are in legal compliance with the OS manufacturer?

6. How would you go about checking if a particular Hewlett Packard printer will run under a particular Windows OS?

7. Why shouldn't the installation of a server OS such as Windows 2003 Server take place in an operational network?

8. Why is Linux referred to as an open source OS?

9. Why is a clean install of an OS more desirable than re-installing over an existing OS?

10. Explain the meaning of "virtual memory" in your own words.

Need help with these questions for my IT course, couldn't find them in the learning material. Any help greatly appreciated

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1. Linux (See Yahoo search for answers)

2. All systems have an agreement, even the free open source have agreements of GNU or other.

3. Manufacture License

4. Unsure

5. That the original sticker of license is attached and it has been pre-installed for you.

6. Drivers Drivers Drivers!

7. All systems should be tested before been put into live production.

8. Source code is freely viewed.

9. Re-installing would be an upgrade? either way formatting would be better as this would elimate any registry or software issues.

10. Virtual memory sush as SWAP memory can be access faster by programs or hard drives should a file be needed on demand without a buffer.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Hey :) An operating system (sometimes abbreviated as "OS") is the program that, after being initially loaded into the computer by a boot program, manages all the other programs in a computer. The other programs are called applications or application programs. The application programs make use of the operating system by making requests for services through a defined application program interface (API). In addition, users can interact directly with the operating system through a user interface such as a command language or a graphical user interface (GUI). So yes an OS is software that controls the execution of computer programs and may provide various services. Hope this Helps :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Google Is Your Friend.

I Recommend Using It.

Source(s): Me - I Do I.T In Collage
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is all basic knowledge for an IT course. How are you learning anything? Get a new course!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.