Alice C asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

Formulas in Microsoft Access?

I know that to create a formula when you have the data in existing fields (in a query) all you have to do is something like this:

Cost: [Item]*[Price]

but what if I wanted to add 15% tax to that value, and it was not included in the query? I know that in Excel you can simply do:

=Multiply(a1*a2)*15%

but how would I multiply that 15% in Access? I tried doing it the same way as I mentioned above but it kept telling me to add a parameter value and nothing happened. Does anyone know how I can add 15% tax to my query? I really need help, thank you.

If it helps, I have Microsoft Access 2007.

Favorite Answer

Well, first of all, you can't multiply a text field (Item) by a number (price). If this is how you have your query set up, then this is why it won't work. That would be like me saying [Shirt]*[shirt price]. Both fields have to be numeric.

Here is an example for you to consider to help.

Quantity multiplied by unit price = cost

Example: if a shirt costs 10.00, and I buy 2 shirts, then my cost is [quantity]*[unit price]

Or: [2]*[10.00]

So in my table I have a field for quantity and field for unit cost.

In my query I have the quantity field and the unit cost field.

Directly beside the unit cost field, on the "Field" line, I type this:

COST: [quantity]*[unit cost]

In the field directly beside COST in the "Field" line, I type this:

TOTAL: ([COST]*.15)+[COST]

So the COST computation gives me the cost for the quantity and the TOTAL field computes the 15% tax.

That gets you what you want in a simplified fashion. If it were me, I'd do the computations on my Form. But that's just me. Both ways are correct.

• ustico

get entry to and Excel are very distinctive from be conscious and Powerpoint. you is easily no longer waiting to faux understanding a thank you to apply them. If the activity calls for somebody who's as much as velocity in the present day, you won't be qualified. it truly is a sturdy element to renowned previously you get employed and lose credibility (and maximum possibly your activity) interior of an truly short volume of time. although, you could easily enable them to renowned your present day MS workplace adventure and your ability in be conscious and Powerpoint. Then state which you're prepared to learn the different 2 as right now as obtainable. some employers (like wide-unfold vehicles) furnish MS workplace suites for as low as $10 for his or her workers use AT homestead. it is so as that they'd prepare utilising it and shop up with what's used on the activity. (it is MS way of coming up particular that everybody else keeps paying interior the direction of the nostril something of the time.) besides, the enterprise you're observing would additionally be prepared to hire you to your different skills in case you're prepared to take training and are a quickly learner. you could look online and come across a direction obtainable that starts off quickly (or in the present day) and is as complete as obtainable in as short a time as obtainable. (greater on that under.) Then be arranged by rehearsing some thing to assert while this comes up interior the interview. as an occasion, state actually (and succinctly) which you're no longer acquainted with get entry to and Excel, yet you're a quickly learner, are have checked into and are prepared to take a direction (call it especially) to hold you as much as velocity as right now as obtainable. State which you think your different skills would make this together useful employment and which you got here to the interview hoping to have the prospect to instruct that. i've got blanketed a link for Microsoft workplace's very own unfastened online self-coaching web site. you may additionally choose to seek for paid amenities previously the next day, so which you would be able to communicate with those if requested. undergo in concepts that in the event that they outright state which you're no longer qualified for that place, you will ask in the event that they have yet another place that could greater useful in fantastic condition your skills, and to maintain you in concepts interior the destiny. Even a referral to a distinctive employer or a handbook on a job greater useful suitable is a powerful commodity at the instant. and that i do desire you may get the activity.