Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Are Ethiopia and Greece really that similar?

I've seen some answers and questions in this section that seem to suggest so but I'm skeptical. Are the languages really that similar to the point where both can understand a few words of the other's language?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If by "similar" you are only referring to the proximities between the Greek and Ethiopian languages, then no, they are not similar.

If by "similar" you are referring to some sort of historical relationship between the two, then yes, they do have some similarities:

-The word "Ethiopia" actually derives from Greek. Pliny the Elder, who was an Ancient Greek historian, postulated that Ethiopia derived its name "Aethiops" from the Greek mythological god "Zeus Aethiops", with "Aethiops" meaning ''black''.

-The famous fable-writer Aesop, who is commonly said to have been Ethiopian because his name is a contraction of "Aethiops", is believed by many to have been a Black slave who resided in Ancient Greece.

- Ethiopia is one of the of the only few countries, along with Greece, to have actually had some significant presence in the Bible. Cush, the eldest son of Ham, is said to be the father of modern Eastern Africans (with a huge emphasis on Ethiopians).

- Ethiopia and Greece are the only countries where major developments were made to early Christianity. Greece, known for its part in the New Testament, and Ethiopia, regarded as one of the first "Christian nations" and now boasts a membership of some 40million individuals.

- Greece is to Europe as Ethiopia is to Africa: Both consisted of very advanced civilizations.

So, I suppose, that there are some similarities between Greece and Ethiopia, contrary to their locational disparity.

• 5 years ago

Not at all! There is connection between Greeks and Ethiopians at all! Greece is in Europe and Ethiopia is in Africa and they are not very close! People who say that Greece and Ethiopia are the same are just propagandists (Mostly people of FYROM) who steal GREEK History so they try to justify it by calling us Africans and claiming that we are descendants of black people! Technically they are racist and homophobic!!!

• 1 decade ago

No not at all. Greece is in Europe and Ethiopia is in Africa, they're not even close to each other, so it's not like they have any cultural influence on one another. Greeks speak GREEK and Ethiopians speak...well actually there are a lot of dialects and languages in Ethiopia from what i remember like 70-80 languages but i think they learn and speak English as well. Food wise, I've actually ate Ethiopian food (Ethiopian restaurant) in Montreal and besides the fact that it was absolutely delicious, it was served on a big platter in the middle of the table, the food was divided in different sections on the platter, chicken(with sauce), beef with sauce some kinds of vegetables and i dont remember what else but it was soo good, anyway theyhave this weird bread thing doesnt taste like anything u use it to scoop food with your hands, everyone eats out of that platter. Anyways it wasn't anythign like greek food, greeks eat gyros:D and other things. As far as religion majority of greeks probably between (80%-100%) of greeks are christian orthodox, actually about half of ethiopian population is christian and probably 60-70% of them are christian orthodox. maybe around 20-30% muslim and the rest are i don't know...i'm sure there are a few who have their own traditional beliefs (people in tribes)......?

ANYWAY COMPLETELY differen't countries just religion is the same,

language wise...no there's no way it's the same. Unless it's international words like 'television' (televisor in romanian, television in spanish) mayeb it would be television in ethiopian and greek too...other wise COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Greece and Ethiopia = what Canada is to Korea ...is Canada and Korea the same? NO

• so
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I don't think Ethiopia and Greece are similar - they are on 2 different continents to being with and Ethiopians probably have a lot more arabic blood in them than Greek. I guess those sort of remarks and questions are being aimed at heckling Greeks!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No.

Those questions and answers are made by one simple user with un-countable accounts who uses for trolling.

His inferiority complex over Greek people led him to put nosense comments in order to portray Greeks as Ethiopians and trying to imply that Ethiopians are somehow a lower form of people.

Don't mind about him, its just a pathetic troll.

You should make a research, on linguistics site maybe about Greek language. You ll have your answers.

• 1 decade ago

These questions are posted by trolls from FYROM. They are not to be taken seriously.

They are racist and homophobic.

Of course there is not the slightest similarity between Greece and Ethiopia.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yeah I saw that question you starred earlier. It doesn't sound true to me. Spanish and Portuguese are very similar but I am told that most can't understand each other. I think that Greeks and Ethiopians are probably less similar than Spanish and Portuguese, so yeah, I think it's unlikely.

• Yea it makes no sense at all. Ethiopians and Greeks have absolutely no connection what so ever. Its rather sad really how the trolls try brainwash the brains about people that dont know much about Greeks or Ethiopians.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Some dude who is butthurt against Greeks and blacks has made several accounts with black avatars pretending to be Greek, while asking questions.

But really, it should be obvious that it's just an obsessed troll, dude. Look how many times he calls himself 'gaygreek' etc

Source(s): Logic
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, not at all.

Those questions and answers were posted by racist trolls who hate Greeks and Blacks.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.