Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Can a sword penetrate a bullet proof vest?

Could you stab a sword into a bullet proof vest and have it go threw?

Best Answer

Depends some bullet proof vests are made of thick material that have strong metal plates incased if this vest you are talking about is a standard police bullet proof vest it will go through with a stab in between the plates if this vest is a standard military vest it will have no chance of going through at all

Source(s): Combat Engineer
  • Susan

A lot of vests are only rated to stop rounds that do not exceed 1400 feet per second so I would imagine full power 10mm hand loads in a 155 or 180 grain or "Nuclear" hand loads would do the trick. I know there are some 135grain noslers advertised at 1700fps. I know my 155 gr hand loads are pushing 1600 fps and 880lbs if it didn't penetrate I imagine it would still give the wearer sever internal injury like getting hit by a sledge hammer in the chest. You don't have to go thru it if you can dump enough power into it for trauma to hurt and possibly kill you. Best bet is to put up bullet resistant glass along with a vest for extra safety and still get behind something solid and hope for the best. I designed my hand loads in hopes of over coming a vest if need be I haven't got the spare money to buy a vest to test but it's defiantly on the to do list. I recommend u get a flick 20 or RIA 2011 Tac2 in 10mm it was designed to be the ultimate man stopper for the FBI check the wiki

Yes and sadly it has been proven. Two police officers were fooling around. To show off the capabilities of the bullet resistant vest, one police officer got a knife and thrust into the bullet resistant vest. The knife got in between the plates and pierced not only the bullet resistant vest but the other officer as well. That officer died as a result.

Source(s): From the book Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest by John Kohut and Roland Sweet

there has been problems with some Vests they might be capable of stopping a bullet but were never designed to stop a combat Knife there was talk that some units have the New Vest with what looks like Chain male to stop a Knife penetrating and is also bullet proof

Source(s): Retired Warrant Officer Explosives Ordnance Engineer after 38 years in the Air Force

Yes, edged weapons will go thru a bullet proof vest quite easily.

Thats why prison guards on the SRT teams, wear a different tactial vest, thats designed to stop shanks, knives, etc.

The weave of the kevlar is different between the two vest.

To stop an edged weapon, the weave must be alot more dense.

Yes, a sword would be able to go through a bullet proof vest. It would be difficult, perhaps, but it would go through. Don't try this at home.

I know that most soft body armor (used by police and part of the military's body armor) can be penetrated by very sharp objects (like ice picks). The hard plate in military and SWAT body armor would stop the sword for sure. But I don't know on the soft body armor.

I know bulletproof vests used to not be knife proof but most now have a thin layer of metal just in case (as far as I know). Now swords I don't know...probably depends on the size, sharpness, who's swinging it, and the individual vest

Source(s): I know lots of random facts

No. a sword could not penetrate a Kevlar vest and severely wound the wearer. besides, a swordsman shouldn't stab someone with a vest on anyways. just lop off his head.

It depends on the vest. I would advise not to bring a knife to a gun fight!