.
. asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

If you've read LES MISERABLES, would you recommend it?

I just need an exciting new book to read ... I don't mind the length, but this book seems really ancient and I don't know if I can relate to it. The only "classic" books I've enjoyed were Jane Eyre, Anne of Green Gables, Rebecca, and Gone With the Wind. There may have been more but I can't recall just now.

Favorite Answer

yes, definitely. it's a classic must-read. read it with a box of tissue!

It is an amazing book, though Victor Hugo's writing style tends to be...drawn out, to say the least? XD

Don't worry about not being able to relate to it; all the characters are incredibly human, and the story timeless.

I would suggest reading the abridged Notre Dame de Paris first. I say this because Les Mis is a very hard book to just delve into, and getting a taste of Victor Hugo's writing would give you an idea of what's to come. Notre Dame de Paris is a good "transition" book, and chances are you're already familiar with the very basics of the plotline.

If you enjoyed those classics, Les Miserables is fairly boring as well. You should be able to handle it. Personally, I couldn't put up with it. Any other classic, but that one was... blurg. A bunch of people who want to look smart talk about it though, so if you read it you can show them up in their discussions of it and that might be humerous.