Ilanna
Ilanna asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

Do you think Hillary should be going to Italy to try free Amanda Knox because she did not get a fair trial?

On 48 hours last night it was said that because Amanda's guilt was not proven beyond any reasonable doubt, the people of Seattle want the Sec of State to get involved, and bring Amanda back to Seattle, to be re tried over here, is that even possible?

The DNA did not match the evidence, for starters, the outline of the bloody knife, did not match the blade of the knife supposed to be the murder weapon, it was a much slimmer blade,

unless she was high on Slam Coke, and there is no evidence of that, she would have to be a psycho killer, like Manson was, I am not trying to defend her, but here in the States, the case would have been thrown out of court,

there is reasonable doubt,

That prosecuter has several charges of

brutality and misconduct which he is going on trial for,

I agree, it is a way to stick it to the Americans, politically the Italians hate us.

Favorite Answer

Hillary has better things to do,..she needs to get those 3 hikers out of Iranian prisoncamp, for starters..

• First of all, there is the matter of jurisdiction. Italy charges and tries people who commit crimes on Italian soil. Italy would neither give that up, nor would any US court be able to take, jurisdiction over the trial. It's legally impossible. Even IF the Secretary of State could convince the Italians to cede jurisdiction, no US court would accept the trial, since they have no jurisdiction over foreign countries.

But perhaps more importantly, I think it would be incredibly arrogant and damaging for the country that runs Guantanamo, which has made a mockery of due process, the right to a fair trial, the right to be represented, the right not to be tortured, etc, to question ANY other country's criminal justice system.

People all over the world already hold the US legal system in contempt because of GITMO and all that flows from it, adding pressure to get Americans out of jail in countries such as Italy would only make it worse. Bullies are never well liked, or respected.

• Erin

Sure. The Italian trial system is different from the US or British system, but it's just as fair. Except for Knox' ex-boyfriend, all the participants in this case - the victim, Knox, and the previously convicted other accused, Rudy Guede - are non-Italians, so it's silly to claim that the Italians have any incentive to steer the verdict one way or another. The matter is now in the hands of the Jury. They have heard and seen all the evidence, which we have not, and we should leave it up to them. Italian juries, by the way, have a reputation for mistrusting police and prosecutors. Claims of "The cops are framing me!" are very rarely believed by American or British juries, but they often are by Italian ones. Since the physical evidence is pretty damming, and "The cops planted the evidence." is pretty much all the defense she has, she is probably better off with an Italian jury than she would be with an American one. On the downside, she can be convicted, in Italy, by a 2/3 vote of the jury, while in America it would take a unanimous verdict. Richard

Were you at the trial? I just wondered because you seem so convinced that it wasn't a 'fair trial'. The reasonable doubt was presumably established convincingly enough for the 6 man jury and the judge, (and 'experts' in psychology etc)

What is not fair is that a young woman was murdered and her family have been left grieving. Perhaps the people of Seattle would be more gainfully employed examining miscarriages of justice on their own doorstep.

Amanda Knox 1) tried to frame the PUB owner a black guy and told she was in the house at that time scared and hiding.2)then she said she was with her bf at that night3)her bf said she was not there the whole night4) she couldn't tell where she was at the time of crime. Amanda is guilty

why should Hillary go there...then hillary should first release all the psycho killers in USA. You know that USA has the most number of Psycho killers. so i would suggest release all of them in US soil first and then go to all countries and bring back all psychos.

Are Americans above reproach in foreign countries? Can we do what we want and then supersede the law with no accountability?

No, Hillary has enough on her plate and would no doubt find herself trespassing on foreign soil if she tried to intervene. The best Hillary can do right now would be to send a clear message to all youth in America is to have respect for the laws of the country you are in when traveling abroad. They have their laws and we have ours and they should be respected as there is no guarantee of a fair trial anytime or anywhere.

No Hilary should not get involved, it would make America look bad,

I think the whole trial was botched, although Amanda did not help it by being cocky and self assured, she is probably guilty, but not beyond any reasonable doubt,

DNA can be easily transfered, I watch Forsensic files, that is how I know

I think if Amanda was guilty she would not have been so cocky, if she had been on drugs, when sobering up, she would have become very frightendend, on what she had done,

Something is not quite right there,

Amanda is very arrogant, but a murderer?

When you commit murder in another country, you're tried under their laws, not ours. It's up to the Italian courts to judge the fairness of her trial, not Hillary. I trust the Italian courts, as they are a part of the 1st world. They have their standards of evidence, which may or may not be similar to ours. If she's judged guilty, that's too bad for her, but maybe she.

People still think OJ is innocent.

She can’t be tried here; she committed the crime on Italian soil so that is why she was convicted in an Italian court.

How do you know if the trial was fair or not? You don’t understand basic jurisdiction, so how can you state it was judicially fair or not? I don't think you should be insisting on anything; you dont understand what is going on.

I think she did committ murder. Just because she is an American does not mean she is innocent. I think that is how you are viewing the situation.

A knife was found with fingerprints and DNA of the victim and Amanda Knox. It was found the apartment of Amanda Knox's boyfriend, a place the victim never visited. Sounds like good evidence to me.

It will look like Hilary is saying goodbye to her chances of ever being president again

I take she and them is doing all this for publicity but surely every politician needs any publicity to make them noticed

If I had to tell them what to do, I would tell them to shut up and go enjoy what made Italy great to the eyes of Americans (pizzas, Armani, Ferrari, Roman Holiday, Renaissance paintings, Sophia Loren, La Dolce Vita, Vespas, etc) and go live in the real world

...but then personally, I doubt that it will get anywhere, I doubt also Knox will be extradited and retried there, why, have she committed a crime in Italy, not in the US,

As an example, take these American two lifers who murdered in a foreign country as an example and think did you (Americans) want them back in your country..

...the David Bieber case, he was a wanted man in the States, he fled to the UK under another ID when he killed another man, years later, when things about to catch up with him...because *** well as he also committed crimes there as well, he drove a car with a false number plate, which attracted the attention of the police who took him to their police car, then when they tried to handcuff him, Bieber pulled a gun and shot the police, which left one dead...

...also the Nancy Kissel case, she murdered her husband in Hong Kong to keep her track covered and to live her extravagant lifestyle funded by her husband, if not, her inheritance, whilst having an affair in the States (not forgetting that she had kids) and realising that when he found out, he planned to divorce her...she have tried to appeal her case as a domestic violence victim, but all that failed

Americans, In contrast to this, did I hear any of you saying you want My Bieber or Mrs Kissel to back in the states even if they are one of your own who killed on a foreign soil

well then, is it that you want Miss Knox freed because you read into this CNN thing coming from a PR team paid for by Knox's family and you all believed in it, even if you don't know her...if I were you I would back off, it makes your country look stupid like it already is seen as that because of the case

but then Clinton needs to back off as well to not lower her standards, what does she want it all this Knox thing for...certainly the publicity from what I read

Source(s): We can always suggest wealthy supporters of Ms Knox clad in Armanis to turn up in their Ferraris and Lambos and tell everybody to boycott Italian goods