Do you think Euthanasia (assisted suicide) should be legalized?

assisted suicide is when (usually) a doctor gives a lethal injection to a patient.

• Kryssi
    Favorite Answer

I agree with Aussie Witch, though I'm not an Aussie. There is no reason for people to die long, drawn out, agonizing deaths from things like colon or lung cancer. If you are past the point of hope and are just waiting for the rest of your body to gradually quit on you, absolutely. I would want the choice if it were me. It isn't a huge step away from signing a DNR, or a no life support policy. I would want control.

Its not suicide once a terminal illness hits a certain point. If I had a choice between holding my husbands hand and drifting off on a morphine high or hemorrhaging out my anus for three months, I would pick the hand holding.

That is the fundamental reason, though. Everyone should have the right to choose to die with dignity. Most of the time, when someone reaches this stage anyways, everything is being done to prolong their life... Drugs, tubes, machines... They are "given" a few extra months, or another year, because that's what science can give them. The quality of those months or even years, though, needs to be taken into consideration. If I have no hope of recovering from a disease or injury, why should I be forced to stick around? Why should I put my family through the personal and financial hell that goes along with a long drawn out death? Now, I fully support assisted suicide, but it can be a slippery slope. If someone wants to choose to fight, they should be able to. And I see insurance companies denying care, while offering to pay for AS, because it's a hell of a lot cheaper. I also see people who really do have a decent shot of surviving throwing in the towel way too early. But, at the end of the day, we play God either way. Ultimately, the life in the balance should have some say.

• zingis

Nope. When the state sanctions deaths of any sort, mistakes will be made. People will mistakenly lose their lives for numerous reasons; consent given when a person is in temporary depression or pain, living wills misinterpreted, overworked doctors erring in procedures for consent, etc. I'm sure that many will argue that procedures and double-checks can be in place, but frankly, any system or institution that man creates is flawed by the very flawed nature of man.

While fallable institutions may be tolerable in some circumstances, an active sytem of life-taking shouldn't be one of those institutional circumstances.

Personally, I'd like to see more resources placed into pain management (including doctor training in that field) and more resources placed in supporting those in terminal or long term diseases/conditions.

Peace

Yes, so as long as the patient him self agrees with it

I had a dog wh owas 12 years old, my past heat wave almost killed him, i was very short on cash so i couldnt put him to sleep with an injection for another week, it was so so sad to watch him just slowly dying, but i was happy when they put him to sleep

• Bunge

Most certainly, like 84% of my fellow Australians... The Bill down here keeps failing to pass because most of our politicians are Christians and they bring their religion to the table before they address the issue...

Keep religion out of politics, that's my firm belief...

)O(

Yes.

but only in cases where the patient is definitely going to die and is only suffering in pain.

Yes. I think everyone has the right to die with dignity.

yes

Suicide is awful

i didnt know that even existed