Ariens snow blower not throwing?

I bought a used Ariens snow blower for my husband. Unfortunately I don't know much about them. We are trying to use it and the auger is turing just fine but the portion that throws the snow is not spinning. Is there something special we have to do to make that work?

Thanks Matt!!!! Due to your info I was able to go to craigslist and find a repair man to come out tomorrow with new pins to fix it for me!!!! You are a lifesaver!!!!

Favorite Answer

Both the front auger and the throwing portion operate of the same shaft. if one is working they both are... EXCEPT when one of them shears a pin.

Typically you have to drive out the old one and put in the new one. They are much like a bolt, but with a weak point on them so they break easily.

Good luck

Make sure that you don"t have any ice in the impeller, put a heater on it and melt all of the snow and ice off of the snow blower and try it again, this is what happens to mine.

Source(s): experience

Are the sheer pins broken? Check the sides of the snow blower where the rod where the blades comes out and see if there are sheer pins there if not replace them and you will be fine. This happens to me sometimes, the blades rotate until I hit the snow and then nothing.

Sounds like it was sold used because it was broken. I think you'll need to have the impeller repaired.