.
. asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Can you recommend some good books (novels)?

I'm 20 and I'd like something more adult....nothing directed at teens or kids, e.g., Twilight.

Recently someone recommended "The Gargoyle" by Andrew Davidson to me, and it sounds good. I need more books though. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

THE CIDER HOUSE RULES and LAST NIGHT IN TWISTED RIVER by John Irving.

If you're into the vampire thing, the 20+ novels about Saint-Germain by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro are brilliant, historical, and written for adults. The new one is BURNING SHADOWS.

DOLORES CLAIRBORNE by Stephen King. SHADOWLAND and GHOST STORY by Peter Straub.

The mysteries by Linda Fairstein, Tess Gerritsen, Kathy Reichs, and Lawrence Block are great, as are the thrillers by Lee Child, Harlan Coben (not the Myron Bolitar novels), Robert Crais, and Steve Berry.

The Gargoyle looks interesting, I also want to read it.

Cormac Mccarthy is incredible, I just finished "Child of God." Very dark, but beautiful writing. It's about a man falsely accused of rape just getting out of prison, and he's almost like a ghost of the mountain by his town. He has no house, but he just lives off of abandoned homes and caves in the mountains. He's a necrophiliac, so he steals dead bodies in the mountains and brings them home with him. It's very creepy, but I liked it a LOT.

This may be a little bit more directed to teenagers, but I know adults who still love it. "Perks of Being a Wallflower." It's just letters from a boy in highschool talking about what's happening to people around him mainly. He understands them so well, and sees in them what others don't. It's very easy and very good.

My favourite book is "the Bell Jar" -- Sylvia Plath. It's REALLY depressing, but just amazing. If you haven't read it, do.

Also, The witch of portobello -- Paulo Coelho. I like a lot of Paulo Coelho's work, except for the alchemist. That's surprising, as it's his most popular, but I wasn't really a fan. Brida by him is very well too. It's about spiritual awakening.

Quo Vadis with the aid of Henryk Sienkiewicz This e book is a classic and spectacular! It tells the story of a Roman officer, Vinicius, who falls in love with a Christian female, Lygia. that is in the process the tine of Nero, while the early Christians are not standard. At one factor interior the story Nero makes a decision to burn Rome, and he blames it on the Christians. that is an epic love tale between 2 those that doesn't regularly fall in love. i'm rereading it good now, because of fact that when I study it the 1st time I skipped the super words. yet, that is spectacular. if your going to observe the action picture, do not watch the 1951 version. Watch the polish version with subtitles. interior the polish version, the characters look lots greater suitable, and it would not bypass as lots scenes.

Try Tuesdays with Morrie. It's a good book. And Nicholas Sparks I don't think are too teenagy.. But Also try Hide by Lisa Gardner, Or Alice by an uknown author.

• Alice

It'd help if you posted some genres you usually tend to like. :) I have some books in mind, but first I'd like to know what kind of things your interested in. What are some of YOUR favorite novels?

The anita blake series

Touch the dark

Southern vampire series

Stray

The meredith gentry series

Can you help me>

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AhVpS...