New Christmas tradition....whats yours?

This year my husband and I have decided to not purchase gifts for one another, instead we figure we would put the money we would have spent on gifts in a separate account and either decide to use it as a good down payment for a vacation at some point or to use it as our "fun" money throughout the year

What are your traditions?

• DJ
    Favorite Answer

My husband and I are practical and typically put our Christmas bonus money back into our home and into hosting my family, all of whom come and stay overnight at our house for Christmas. (It does get rather expensive.)

My husband will whip up a big batch of sausage gumbo for Christmas Eve and everyone stays up playing cards and board games.

The next morning, I fix a light breakfast for everyone while they're watching the parades and football games on TV.

Later, my husband helps me prepare Christmas Day dinner. The women in the family usually do all the cleaning up afterward.

By the time we have the house back to ourselves, we're back at work on our day jobs. I'm too tired to take down the holiday decorations, so they usually stay up throughout the winter months. Thankfully, my husband wouldn't mind if they stayed up all year!

• SpikE

Well, we buy the gifts when they're on sale and we have money. So that when Christmas comes and prices are high, and money hard to come by, we already have what we want. It's not a perfect solution, but it's not a perfect world either. Works for us though. It's Christmas all year long this way.

• Brooke

We put up several trees. The first tree was put up on Friday. This one is for the grandchildren. Each year we buy each of our grandchildren an ornament to add to their colletcion. Each child has their own kind like angels, snowmen ect. On Friday after Thanksgiving the children help us put the tree together then each one gets to hang their own ornaments. When they get married they can take their ornaments to start their own tree. Our main tree is 8 feet tall. I'm afraid I don't know what kind it is but it is very full and beautiful.. I decorate it with over a thousand clear lights. Each of the ornaments are either crystal, pearl, cut glass or hand-blown. Most all of the ornaments on this tree help us to remember just what the holiday is all about. Most of them are miniature nativity scenes, churches, angels, crosses, snowflakes and bells. Most of the ornaments also have a little story that goes with it like where we got it at or something funny that happened when we bought it. Putting up the tree and remembering all the stories of past Christmases makes for a great family time. The tree skirt is one my grandmother made for us the first Christmas we were marrried. It puts just the right finishing touch to the tree. I will put that tree up around the 5th -10th. You are right, putting the tree up helps to put everyone in the Christmas mood. Playing Christmas carols at the same time is also fun.

• DK52

Sort of new is I now go out and buy the best, biggest, smoothest bottle of brown liquor I can get my hands on and enjoy the bottle all all of Nov. and Dec. with friends and family.

Never had any Christmas traditions in the first place =/ The ones I had had don't apply any more for so many have past in the family that have ended them. Such as dinner at Momma's house.

We do chris Kringle and put all the families names in a hat and pull out a name and buy for them to the value of $50. For me and my partner we do the same limit the gifty to $50 , has to be personal and not be serious or mean work so perfume, lingerie, toys and games and its great and yes the money we save we use to go on holidays throughout the year

• ?

our tradition , to make christmas meaningful we have to reach-out to others especially the needy. for that is the reason of christmas - a god becoming man reaching out in our situation and bring mankind closer to his father.

Thats a good idea, i'd go with it, if my ole man got me anything

We try to stay on speaking terms.

I get incredibly drunk and pee on the christmas tree.