Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

What is the difference between the FAT32 and the NTFS file systems?

What is the difference between them? The file system of my hard disk of my laptop computer is NTFS (I have Windows XP). The file system of my external hard drive is FAT32.

Favorite Answer

NTFS is used by Windows XP and up. So, your laptop uses what it should be using. More info here:

"The file system of my external hard drive is FAT32."

External hard drives use this format by default, because Windows, OS X and Linux can all read and write to it. So, your XHD uses what it should be using. More info here:

So, if your really asking if you should re-format your XHD to NTFS, the answer is NO.

NTFS is New technology file system and FAT32 is File Allocation Table FAT32 is better if you are using the PC for personal use and does not require much of internet or server help NTFS is better for big offices where Servers are used and big time works are done

They are basiclly types of file systems. In a nutshell it is the way files are stored on your harddrive.