1999 Dodge/Chrysler Intrepid 2.7V6,car has 93,000km/ 57,000miles on it,Should I change the transmission fluid?

Is it about time to be changing the transmission fluid? Also is it correct that ATF+4 is the correct Transmission fluid for this 1999 Intrepid.

Update:

This doesn't relate to my question but if anyone has a 2.7 V6 Intrepid & needs to know how to change the Fan Speed Resistor here is a guide on youtube step by step has pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai8d54gC38A

Youtube thumbnail

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

it does need to be changed about every 60 thousand to maintain the transmission real well,so id at least change the fluid and filter ,don't do a flush on it though ,because that seems to create more problems than it helps sometimes,and only use atf-4 back in it ,good luck and happy holidays,

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 38 yrs now.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Yes change the oil especially if it has never been done before. It would like 10, 11 years old ! Technically oil never quits lubricating it just gets contaminated and breaks down. Atf +4 is the correct oil. The best advice I ever got was from a transmission re builder, " good thing people don't change their transmission fluid like engine oil, otherwise I would be out of a job"

• 1 decade ago

I would say yes to all of the above, but there should be a parts locator book at AutoZone to help with the right part. Definitely have the transmission flushed.

• 1 decade ago

Most people dont realize it but every 35,000 miles factory recomends changing tranny fluid and having it flushed at about 60,000 miles. About 85% of people dont do this but it may also be why they have future tranny problems. This is for automatics tho. Im not sure about manual.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

if its auto-Your transmission fluid should be changed regularly to prevent transmission filter damages. If your Dodge is equipped with a transmission filter and you need to have it replaced

• 1 decade ago

yes you really should. atf+4 is the correct fluid for this vehicle.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.