What others say about Imam Hussain's a.s. stand in Karbala and Ashura?
What do you say about Imam Hussain's a.s. defense against Yazid ibn Muawiya?
Quotations about Imam Hussain (A.S.) by Non-Muslims
1. Mahatma Gandhi (Indian political and spiritual leader): “I learned from Hussein how to achieve victory while being oppressed.”
2. Thomas Carlyle (Scottish historian and essayist): “The best lesson which we get from the tragedy of Kerebella is that Husain and his companions were rigid believers in God. They illustrated that the numerical superiority does not count when it comes to the truth and the falsehood. The victory of Husain,
despite his minority, marvels me!”
3. Edward Gibbon (English historian and member of parliament): “In a distant age and climate, the tragic scene of the death of Hosein will awaken the sympathy of the coldest reader.” (The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, London,1911, volume 5, p. 391-392)
4. Charles Dickens (English novelist): “If Husain had fought to quench his worldly desires…then I do not understand why his sister, wife, and children accompanied him. It stands to reason therefore, that he sacrificed purely for Islam.”
5. Antoine Bara (Lebanese writer): “No battle in the modern and past history of mankind has earned more sympathy and admiration as well as provided more lessons than the martyrdom of Husayn in the battle of
Karbala.” (Husayn in Christian Ideology)
6. Dr. K. Sheldrake: “Of that gallant band, male and female knew that the enemy forces around were implacable, and were not only ready to fight, but to kill. Denied even water for the children, they remained parched under the burning sun and scorching sands, yet not one faltered for a moment. Husain marched with his little company, not to glory, not to power of wealth, but to a supreme sacrifice, and every member bravely faced the greatest odds without flinching.”
7. Ignaz Goldziher (Hungarian orientalist): “…Weeping and lamentation over the evils and persecutions suffered by the ‘Alid family, and mourning for its martyrs: these are things from which loyal supporters of the cause cannot cease. ‘More touching than the tears of the Shi’is’ has even become an Arabic proverb.” (Introduction to Islamic Theology and Law, Princeton, 1981, p.179)
8. Edward G. Brown (Professor at the University of Cambridge): “…a reminder of that blood-stained field of Karbala, where the grandson of the Apostle of God fell, at length, tortured by thirst, and surround by the bodies of his murdered kinsmen, has been at anytime since then, sufficient to evoke, even in the most lukewarm and the heedless, the deepest emotion, the most frantic grief, and an exaltation of spirit before which pain, danger, and death shrink to unconsidered trifles.” (A Literary History of Persia, London, 1919, p.227)
9. Sir William Muir (Scottish orientalist): “The tragedy of Karbala decided not only the fate of the Caliphate, but also of Mohammadan kingdoms long after the Caliphate had waned and disappeared.” (Annals of the Early Caliphate, London, 1883, p.441-442)
10. “Though Imam Hussain gave his life years ago, but his indestructible soul rules the hearts of people even today.”Dr. Radha Krishnan
11.Mahatma Gandhi “My faith is that the progress of Islam does not depend on the use of sword by its believers, but the result of the supreme sacrifice of Hussain (A.S.), the great saint.”
12. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru “Imam Hussain’s (A.S.) sacrifice is for all groups and communities, an example of the path of rightousness.”
13. Reynold Alleyne Nicholson “Hussain (A.S.) fell, pierced by an arrow, and his brave followers were cut down beside him to the last man. Muhammadan tradition, which with rare exceptions is uniformly hostile to the Umayyad dynasty, regards Hussain (A.S.) as a martyr and Yazid as his murderer.”
[A Literary History of the Arabs, Cambridge, 1930, p197]
14. Rabindranath ***************ore “In order to keep alive justice and truth, instead of an army or weapons, success can be achieved by sacrificing lives, exactly what Imam Hussain (A.S.) did
15. Dr. Rajendra Prasad “The sacrifice of Imam Hussain (A.S.) is not limited to one country, or nation, but it is the hereditary state of the brotherhood of all mankind.”
16. Dr. Radha Krishnan “Though Imam Hussain (A.S.) gave his life almost 1300 years ago, but his indestructible soul rules the hearts of people even today.”
17. Swami Shankaracharya “It is Hussain’s (A.S.) sacrifice that has kept Islam alive or else in this world there would be no one left to take Islam’s name.”
18. Mrs. Sarojini Naidu “I congratulate Muslims that from among them, Hussain (A.S.), a great human being was born, who is reverted and honored totally by all communities
- Anonymous1 decade agoFavorite Answer
Khawaja Ghareeb Nawaz’s immortal verses on the status of Hazrat Imam Hussain (AS)
Shah ast Hussain, Badshah ast Hussain
Deen ast Hussain, Deen Panah ast Hussain
Sardad na dad dast, dar dast-e-yazeed,
Haqaa key binaey La ila ast HussainAnd a rough translation -
Ruler is Hussain, Emperor is Hussain,
Faith is Hussain , Guardian of faith is Hussain .
Offered his head and not the hand to Yazid.
Indeed, Hussain is the foundation of La-ilah (the
declaration that none but God is Absolute and Almighty)
- 6 years ago
1.Shia never started by Karbala massacre. It started right after the death of Muhammad. while Ali were busy with funeral and omar and abu bakr were busy with who is next while they knew that several times Muhammad chose Ali directly and indirectly like in Qadir Khon ......
2. Yazid sent troops to Kufa to supress people from helping hussain and many of the kuffa people were not even aware of what is going on (threre were no internet and phone at that time) Many other were arrested by Ibn ziad (new governer by yazid)
3.Hussain were killed by people who were calling themselves followrs of sunna of Prophet. They claimed that since yazid is Khalif and hussain is being a reble then he should be killed.
4.Yazid were son of Moavia and Moavia son of Abu sofian and her mother was Hind the one who killed Hamza in Ohod war. They hated the Ahlol bayt and their followeres (shia). Guess who put Moavia as governer of Shaam? OMAR.
5.After they killed Hussain, the news spread all around Iraq and Iran because it was unbelievable they kill grand son of Muhammad. They formed 4000 army and went to war they sweared to not come back until they get revenge of Hussain. they were all killed by the 30000 army of Yazid.
6.After that Mokhtar ibn Saghafi came and formed a strong army of shia and took the revenge one by one of those who were in the killing of Hussain
7.sunni people and especially wahabi/salafi people are not interested in Karbala story because they know that Shia is in a right place. They also not interested in Jamal war because Ali were in a right place.
8.Right before Karbala Ibn ziad arrested many people of Kufa who wanted to help hussain. Hussain died to save true islam. If it was not because of his death you would have nothing from Islam other than these wahabi people who try to ruin his tomb and their long beard and beheading of people .....
9.Sunni people try to tell you it was Shia who killed hussain while they fail to mention that the army of 30000 supressed Kuffa and head of tribes who wanted to help hussain. Ibn ziad also gave the promises to give money gold and power to those who help killing him.
10 If you have any questions let me know
- Anonymous1 decade ago
Thoust are stuck in timeth without a shovel to get outh they sand of Kharbalah AstugfarAllah and Al hamdoullah inthe same breath. Amin
May Allah SWT guide you all to a better understanding than talking about those we have already laid in the ground and are resting in peace in the care of Allah SWT. They are promised Jannah and anyone talking about these things to minipulate others is in error.Source(s): Ankaboot
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 1 decade ago
How are you? Wow, this is very interesting and I loved reading it...Thank you for sharing it...
Islam is alive after Karbala....Source(s): Slave of Mohammad (S.A.W)