What is a safe way to remove ipod touch screen scratches?

Its is a second generation iPod if it matters.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are several products you can use if you are wanting to buy something. Even toothpaste will work according to this article from Macworld.

Keep in mind that the way any “scratch remover” works is to buff down the surrounding surface so that it’s level with the deepest part of the scratch. This means that the most effective scratch removers also tend to be the most abrasive, requiring subsequent treatment with milder products in order to remove finer scratches left by the scratch removers themselves. Thus, I found that products including several different solutions to be the most effective at removing deeper scratches without leaving your iPod covered in finer blemishes afterwards.

iDrops

PodShop’s $15 iDrops (

2 Play

) is the only commercial product I tested that includes only a single solution, shipped in a 1.7-ounce bottle with an eyedropper (or is it “iDropper“?) cap. iDrops is advertised for use only on acrylic surfaces (in other words, the white front of your iPod or the white cases of Apple’s iBooks, iMac G5s, and eMacs—not your iPod’s metal back). You simply squeeze 2 to 4 drops onto the affected area using the included eyedropper and then buff with a “dry, clean, soft cloth“—the iDrop package does not include a polishing cloth as the other commercial products do.

Unfortunately, iDrops didn’t have much of an effect on our test iPod, which had a good number of surface scratches, both fine and deep. Even after repeated applications, I saw hardly any improvement in the fine scratches, with no affect at all on the deeper ones.

AstroShine Clean Kit

AstroAge’s $10 AstroShine Clean Kit (

4 Play

) is the least expensive product I tested, but still includes three different solutions—a 2-ounce bottle of Plastic Clean & Shine (#1), 2-ounce bottle of Fine Scratch Remover (#2), and a 2-ounce bottle of Heavy Scratch Remover (#3)—and two large, lint-free cloths. (Interestingly, the contents of the package are labeled “Novus plastic polish kit” and include no mention of the iPod—the instructions pamphlet implies that the kit was originally designed as a general plastic repair and cleaning kit. This means it should also be effective on Apple’s other white acrylic/plastic products.) According to the directions, you should use solution #2 first, and only use #3 if #2 can’t remove a particularly deep scratch, as #3 is more abrasive and may leave scratches of its own (which should then be treated with #2).

AstroAge’s #2 solution worked well at removing minor scratches (via repeated applications, of course) without leaving too many scratches of its own. The #3 solution, on the other hand, is the most abrasive of the commercial products I tested; it was able to remove deep scratches as well as, or perhaps even slightly better than, RadTech’s Ice Creme A, but it left more of its own scratches than any other commercial product. Fortunately, the #2 solution was able to remove most of those. The #1 solution is really just a surface cleaner that removes oil and dirt (and polishing products—you should use it to remove solution #3 before moving on to #2).

I was impressed with the AstroShine Clean Kit given its low cost, but it does have one significant drawback compared to the RadTech and Applesauce Polish products below: It’s not intended for use on your iPod’s metal back. If you want to get rid of scratches in the chrome backplate, you’ll want one of the next two kits.

Applesauce Polish Plastic Surgery Kit

Applesauce Polish’s $25 Plastic Surgery Kit (

3 Play

) is comprised of a .25-ounce jar of the company’s Deep Scratch & Chrome Polish, a 1-ounce bottle of Heavy Scratch Remover, a 1-ounce bottle of Fine Scratch Remover and Protectant, and three lint-free cloths. The company recommends using the Heavy Scratch Remover first, and using the Deep Scratch & Chrome Polish only if the former doesn’t produce the desired results. Like AstroAge’s #3, the Deep Scratch & Chrome Polish is fairly abrasive and may leave scratches of its own. You then use the Heavy Scratch Remover to get rid of those residual blemishes. The Deep Scratch & Chrome Polish is also designed to remove scratches from your iPod’s chrome backside.

Applesauce Polish notes that it can take up to 12 applications of the Heavy Scratch Remover before many scratches are removed, and I found that to be the case. The first few applications didn’t appear to have much affect, but as I applied further treatments, the scratches didn’t seem to be as noticeable as before. That being said, the recommended-first Heavy Scratch Remover inflicted a number of very fine scratches on our iPod’s face, which then needed to be treated with the Fine Scratch Remover and Protectant (which couldn’t completely remove them). After treating part of our iPod’s screen with the three Applesauce Polish solutions, it looked much better, with only a few deep scratches still being obviously noticeable.

Answer mine please :) http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AliTg...

• 1 decade ago

Um my suggestions do quick cleanings is to use the iDrops kit from apple or u can but a screen protector, it will protect it for a pretty long time, plus it cheap!

Source(s): I've had an iPod touch for about a year
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.