Farm Aircraft - Utility Class?

What would be a relatively good aircraft for a farmer to use as a utility machine?

Ideally this aircraft would only have to meet VFR requirements and carry two persons max.

STOL capability would be preferred as would the ability to land and take off from grass or unimproved roads.

The aircraft's primary use would be patrol and carrying feed and equipment to remote areas in Summer and Winter.

I guess the best way to describe it would be an 'air jeep'.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

3 Answers

  • FanMan
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    What you're describing is the typical bush plane. Depending on how much equipment you need to carry, you could be looking at a Super Cub or Husky, or even some of the classic light planes like Aeronca or Taylorcraft (old or new LSA). If you need something larger, a Maule might be a good choice, or one of the many homebuilt designs.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Assuming a low elevation, reasonably normal temperature airport, and 2 hours round trip with VFR fuel reserves:

    Cessna 182 has good performance, good payload capability (two occupants plus about 500lb). A very popular airplane for farmers in the California Central Valley.

    A popular bush airplane is the Cessna 185, a better payload, than the 182 but in a taildragger configuration - better for rough fields.

    If you need more payload, the Cessna 206/207 would be the choice.

    If you are operating at high elevations and hot temperatures, turbocharging would likely be necessary to carry a significant load...

  • 1 decade ago

    The utility category is limited to airplanes that have a seating configuration, excluding pilot seats, of nine or less, a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds or less, and intended for limited acrobatic operation.

    Cessna Caravan

    DHC-3-T Turbo-Otter

    For the big loads-EADS CASA C-212

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.