Why did I receive a check from US Treasury?

Today got a check for quite a bit of money. It looks authentic. But I am not sure why I receieved this.

Favorite Answer

It is probably a tax refund check. Folks who do not make very much money get refunds they do not expect. They also get federal checks when the government is trying to make the economy better. Look under Federal Government in the phone book. Find out where the Internal Revenue Service office is located. Go there and show them the check. I think that will clear it all up. They will take your Social Security number and figure it out.

There is a very remote chance this is a mistake or someones idea of a bad joke. Ask others for help and see if you can figure this out. If it's a mistake by the government and you cash it, you will have to repay it. If its a mean joke on you (like someone making up a phony check), it could cause you problems with law enforcement.

• rtfm

Checks from the U.S. Treasury are usually federal income tax refunds. Were you due one from last year's taxes?

I really doubt it is if you weren't expecting it. Check with your bank.