Live and Work in Toronto?

Friend of mine, with Permanent Resident (not Citizen) who work and live in the States in the past 2 decades. She would like to settle, live and work in Toronto, Canada. What's the procedure ? She was graduated from Engineering program from the university in the States. She worked in IT division. She worried about she won't be able to get a job she want in Toronto, in the meantime while waiting the result from the Immigration and see if she's qualify to stay and work in T.O. She doesn't prefer to work, and receive the money 'under the table". I inform her the alternative way is apply as a Visa Student, study a program in T.O. from either College / University; once graduated, she still can find a job since the government of Canada allow Visa Student to work in Canada, after graduated. And once she got a job, she can apply a work visa, etc.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What's the procedure ? She was graduated from Engineering program from the university in the States.

She worked in IT division. She worried about she won't be able to get a job she want in Toronto, in the meantime while waiting the result from the Immigration and see if she's qualify to stay and work in T.O. She doesn't prefer to work, and receive the money 'under the table".

IT jobs in Canada rae hard to get - there are a LOT of unemployed IT workers in Canada - she will have a lot of competition - she has to have very good grades and good knowledge and experience to get a job in Canada.

I inform her the alternative way is apply as a Visa Student, study a program in T.O. from either College / University; once graduated, she still can find a job since the government of Canada allow Visa Student to work in Canada, after graduated. And once she got a job, she can apply a work visa, etc.

YES this is true - It is called the Canadian experience visa

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.a...

As you say. her best option is to go to school in Canada - she must have a lot of money saved up to live on. After she graduates she can apply for a post grad work perrmit and after a year on that work permit she can apply for PR. (she must then stay on a work pemrit while the PR application is being processed. It is taking more than 12 months so far).

Please note that if she stays out of USA for more than 12 months, she will LOSE the green card status as she is NOT a US citizen. She really should apply to become a US citizen first, before she leaves USA. This way she still has options.

Source(s): PR in Canada
  • 1 decade ago

I am not sure why would anyone consider migrating from US to Canada. Anyways I guess the answer would immigrating to Canada or get work permit under NAFTA or have an employment offer. Student Visa may impose limitation on her ability to get employment (the law has recently changed).

As far as I know the IT market in Canada is not good. The jobs are going to Asia

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.