How long do I have to steam a store-bought plum pudding?

I bought a plum pudding at the grocery store, the type that comes wrapped in green cellophane. I'd like to cook it for New Year's Day. I know I have to steam it, but I'm not sure for how long. Also, how do I make a non-alcoholic sauce for the pudding? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Favorite Answer

It should have come with directions.

When I make homemade plum pudding I steam it for 6 to 8 hours to cook it, and then to reheat on christmas day I steam for another hour - 2 hours.

However, store bought puddings generally have more fat and are not aged as long so they are moister to start with. 30 minutes to 1 hour should do it.

if you have a crock pot, you can just put it in there with some hot water and forget about it untill it's dessert time. Over cooking it will not harm the pudding.

We always serve ours with condensed milk as the sauce. Or what the other poster mentioned, mixing butter and powdered sugar. we call it "hard sauce," because you put it in teh fridge to harden then slice it onto the pudding (also because traditionally it was made with brandy)

If it is from the grocery store, it has already been cooked, you don't need to steam it, you just need to heat it up. Take off the cellophane, put it in the microwave for 4 or 5 min (depends on size). You could also wrap it in foil and put it in the regular oven for about 1/2 hour.

This is the recipe my mum always made for sauce:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup soft butter

1 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation:

Cream butter with confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla extract.

Hard sauce recipe serves 8.