Have you ever experienced sleep paralysis?

No thumbs down from me...I appreciate all of your answers :)
Update: This has happened to me twice so far...and I am very curious to know what you think happens to disrupt the mind/body connection...If I remember correctly from one of my physio psych courses, we learned that during REM sleep the body has a temporary paralysis mechanism to protect itself from 'acting out' the... show more This has happened to me twice so far...and I am very curious to know what you think happens to disrupt the mind/body connection...If I remember correctly from one of my physio psych courses, we learned that during REM sleep the body has a temporary paralysis mechanism to protect itself from 'acting out' the dream. It would explain why, if I had awoken abruptly, I still had not regained movement of my body. But it took me at least several minutes to be able to speak or move.

Is there anything of spiritual significance going on during sleep when sleep paralysis is occurring? Also, have you experienced this?
Update 2: Wow! I have gotten excellent answers so far :) Just to clarify, I haven't had this happen since last winter...but since i am realizing how interconnected our wake and sleep cycles are I have been getting curious to find out what all my friends and contacts on YA have experienced along these lines. Thanks... show more Wow! I have gotten excellent answers so far :)

Just to clarify, I haven't had this happen since last winter...but since i am realizing how interconnected our wake and sleep cycles are I have been getting curious to find out what all my friends and contacts on YA have experienced along these lines. Thanks to all who read, starred and/or answered!!