Keep in mind that you can always make larger batches of recipes in your slow cooker and then portion the leftovers into individual servings for later meals. They can even be stored in the freezer and reheated in the microwave when you are in a hurry.
Here are some recipes that lend themselves to this method:
Slow Cooker Chili
1 pound ground beef
3/4 cup diced onion
3/4 cup diced celery
3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (10.75 ounce) cans tomato puree
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans,
drained 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans with liquid
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dried basil
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1. Place the beef in a skillet over medium heat, and cook until evenly brown. Drain grease.
2. Place the beef in a slow cooker, and mix in onion, celery, green bell pepper, garlic, tomato puree, kidney beans, and cannellini beans. Season with chili powder, parsley, salt, basil, oregano, black pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
3. Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low.
Slow Cooked Pork Barbeque
4 pork chops
1 (18 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1. Put the chops in the slow cooker and pour a bottle of your favorite barbeque sauce over. With your hands, mix the sauce all over the chops making sure the are coated very well. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
Slow Cooker Pizza
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 (8 ounce) package rigatoni pasta
1 (16 ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of tomato soup
2 (14 ounce) jars pizza sauce
1 (8 ounce) package sliced pepperoni sausage
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and set aside. Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drain off grease.
2. In slow cooker, alternate layers of ground beef, noodles, cheese, soup, sauce and pepperoni.
3. Cook on Low setting for 4 hours.