Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Does anyone besides me have a problem with Nancy Meyers' Films?

I really don't understand the appeal of Nancy Meyer's work. Her films are completely shallow, and lack any depth that humanity has to offer. All of the female protagonists are exactly the same, they are just about entirely interchangeable in each film: wealthy, lonely, morals of a gnat, and all in all shallow. I know she's one of the few female directors (and writers) with recognition, but should the general public be raving about someone who completely distorts the passions, depth, and ambiguity of the female gender. Sophist it to say, her stuff is worthless, sappy, pieces of garbage that portray women as complete airheads. Equally condescending as 'Sex and the City', only in a different way.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Paco
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Of the two biggest female directors in the very very limited pool of female directors who work on large budget films, I would say that the female characters are better in Nora Ephron's films. The male characters are better in Nancy Meyers films. I think your assessment is a little harsh for what are basically comedy movies.

====================

NANCY MEYERS

It's Complicated

The Holiday

Something's Gotta Give

What Women Want

The Parent Trap

=====================

NORA EPHRON

Julie & Julia

Bewitched

Lucky Numbers

You've Got Mail

Michael

Mixed Nuts

Sleepless in Seattle

This Is My Life

===========================

I think the business must be brutal for female directors. Four of the biggest seem to have left the business.

AMY HECKERLING

PENNY MARSHALL

MARTHA COOLIDGE

MIMI LEDER

===

And CATHERINE HARDWICKE, after directing the biggest movie of all time to be directed by a woman (Twilight) was not asked to direct the sequel.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.