Does my car take gear oil ?

i have a dodge neon 1997 and was wondering if it takes gear oil if anyone can tell me that??

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When adding fluid or refilling an automatic transaxle, use ATF+3 type 7176 fluid. If this is not available, you can use ATF+3(or its superceding fluid type) automatic transmission fluid.

The proper fluid for all manual transaxles is Mopar® type M.S. 9417 manual transaxle fluid. Do NOT use Hypoid gear lube, engine oil and/or automatic transmission fluid, as this may cause damage.

Source(s): ASE Certified Tech
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

How do you mean Gear oil? Manual tranny takes gear oil. Automatic takes trans fluid which is quit different than gear oil.Diffs also use gear oil but again a different type of gear oil.

Source(s): Old mechanic
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

gear oil??? No, it takes like 10w30 oil proper engine oils, not lawnmover and chainsaw oil !!!!!!!!

If you mean things like transmission fluids that you can add to your oil, just make sure you are buying the right stuff, like for automatic or manual based transmissions....Lucas additives are ususally regarded quite highly......talk to your local car shop guy who sells this stuff and ask his advice.

Source(s): s l
  • 1 decade ago

All gears need lubrication. Cars, aircraft, ships, spacecraft, motorcycles.

Without lubrication, you will have have a big problem.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

if it is automatic yes(you should have a dip stick in you engine bay).

If it is manual NO but if you passe 150 k mile you might need to get it flushed by a mechanic, shouldn't be expensive .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.