Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwarePrinters · 1 decade ago

Send away for canvas and prints or invest in printer?

I've always enjoyed photography and recently decided to get a pile of various sized prints and canvases made up to try and sell. I do not own any kind of printer so I would have to either go in with a printing company to do them all up for me or invest in a wide format printer an do them at home. Would it be more wise to start the 1st year sending them away and see how I do with selling or bite the bullet and get a expensive printer and go hard!?

Favorite Answer

It is always better in business to play it safe and spend a bit more per item but less overall than pay less per item but pay more overall in the beginning. It is difficult to tell if you will be able to sell your pieces in the quantities you wish. Your artwork maybe great but it is the consumers that have to agree and purchase the items. My recommendation is that you have someone else print the pieces for you initially and once you see some movement and find out that the market wants the items then go in and buy your own printer.

A good place for wholesale giclee printing would be: http://www.abbotart.com/

Abbot Art also provides drop shipping services so it makes it easier for you to print and ship directly to your customers.

If you don't plan to go larger than 13 X 19 you can get a very nice and affordable inkjet printer for home use that will be convenient and give you more freedom with media, saturations.

You can pick up an Epson R1900 for about $350, Canon and HP also have very nice entry level wide format printers.