Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 1 decade ago

Earth's rotation and the movement of the magnetic north pole Related yes or no?

I asked a question based on this main stream media statement about the magnetic pole moving

-----------

The magnetic north pole had moved little from the time scientists first located it in 1831. Then, in 1904, the pole began shifting northeastward at a steady pace of about 15 kilometres a year.

In 1989, it sped up again, and, in 2007, scientists confirmed the pole is moving toward Siberia at 55 to 60 kilometres a year.

A rapidly shifting magnetic pole means magnetic-field maps need to be updated more often to allow compass users to make the crucial adjustment from magnetic north to true North.

Entire article here

http://www.thestar.com/sciencetech/science/article...

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=At...

Question here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eGcNqOQDVw

I then made this statement

If the north pole moves --- so does the south pole --- If the poles move -- so does the equator

Here is a reply I got

No. The article is speaking of the *magnetic* pole - much different than the "rotational pole." The spin axis around which the Earth turns will not change. A magnetic compass does not point to the North Pole, which is called True North, (around which the Earth rotates) but is deflected by several degrees. It's surprising how many people don't know that.

-------------------

Earth's rotation and the movement of the magnetic north pole Related yes or no?

Update:

The last link is not to the question sorry

But

It is to a clip of someones projection of a 20 degree pole shift

Is that projection based on magnetic poles -- or is that something else

How is it related to magnetic poles if at all?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The equator refers to a plane perpendicular to the axis of physical rotation of the earth and thus has nothing to do with the magnetic poles.

The magnetic field is produced by rotational motion in the core, and this motion is caused by (induced, related to) the rotation of the earth as a whole, but the coordinates of physical motion do not correspond directly to the coordinates of the magnetic field.

A lot of people make the error of interpreting "pole shift" as a reference to change in physical rotational pole, when this is not the intended meaning. It refers instead to the movement and perhaps reversal of polarization of the magnetic field, a different phenomenon.

The physical motion of the earth is the primary indirect cause of the magnetic field, but the magnetic field is not the source of the physical motion of the earth and has little to no impact on it.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Magnetic North Movement

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Earth's Magnetic North Pole isn't stationery, it is going to additionally shop shifting its place. So assume in case you stand precise on real of Earth's Magnetic North Pole, then your Magnetic Compass needle will shop wandering randomly, it might desire to no longer think approximately a single course.

• 1 decade ago

the earth's rotation does play a part in the location of the magnetic pole, because of the physical properties and gravitational influences of moving bodies in space. That isn't the only thing that influences the location of the poles, though.

Please stop believing that the world's going to come to an end in 2012.

It didn't in Y2K. Which was the last time it was suppose to.

Speculation is just that; speculation.

If I said "you have to give me all your money -RIGHT NOW - or your gonna die ! just mail it to ....... "

Would you do it on blind faith ? Or do I have to talk you into it ?

Source(s): the answer to the questions is NO & I don't care what you say
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.