Computer Doesn't Show External Hard Drive?

My WD external hard drive installs and is ready to use but the computer doesn't show it, tried it on 5 different computers same thing happens, tried several usb cords. tried initializing it but that didn't work either, what should i do?

I've had it for about 6months, all of a sudden it doesn't show up

Favorite Answer

If it worked fine for 6 months, won't work on 5 other PCs, and switching USB cables doesn't help either, the hard drive crashed and it needs to be replaced.

But, before you do that you could try GRC's amazing SpinRite 6, and so you know, it's NOT free ($ 89). Caveat: "To obtain the best performance, IDE drives can be temporarily removed from their external USB or Firewire cases and attached directly to the PC motherboard."

If it works for you, it's worth every penny.

"4. I formated it using my laptop" - FAT32 or NTFS??? It should be FAT32. The external drive works on another PC, but not on your XP PC. So, the obvious conclusion is: XP must be the problem, it may be corrupted, missing drivers or infected with malware OR all of these. Call the external drive manufacturer, First. Here's what they will probably tell you: Try doing a Windows Repair, after you have removed all malware. If still not working, do a Windows "Clean Install / Recovery" and that will fix everything. GUARANTEED!!!

• Bert H

If it installed correctly, try clicking 'Computer' or 'My Computer' in older versions.

If your external does not show, you may have a dud.

I just got a 1TB WD external, installed it using their software, works fine.

;-)

Source(s): Techie.

Are you sure that the drive is formatted? Otherwise try formatting it again sometimes this helps...

Source(s): Personal experience