Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 10 years ago

Best place to live as a make-up artist?

I'll be doing my schooling at a Paul Mitchell school in Portland, OR. After that, I don't know what I'm going to do. I hope to be doing freelance when I'm in school & I really, really, really want to work for MAC (& maybe Pro someday). I want to move to a place where I can get a good job with models, but I refuse to live in LA or NYC. I was thinking about moving out of the country to Europe or Canada, & if I did get a job at MAC, I could transfer to Europe.

I just really want to do something awesome with make-up & fashion, it's been my dream since I was a kid & I don't see myself doing anything else.

I will not live in LA or NYC anytime soon because of how over crowded & dirty it is. I might move there someday to advance in my career, but before then, I want live live somewhere pretty, with an active fashion/makeup/hair scene, but not be in a place where there's SO many people.

I actually have been thinking Vancouver for some time because it's a lot like Alaska (where I live). I couldn't stand being too far away from the mountains.

Best Answer

I would suggest Vancouver... I'm not sure how big modeling is there but acting is HUGE! there are so many movies and TV show's filmed in and around Vancouver at any given time...

plus it's beautiful there! we have winter-y winters but not frostbite winters, nice warm summers if you like the sun, and perfect springs and falls... honestly... i'm traveling right now but i will be living in BC for the rest of my life... nothing compares to it and i've been to plenty of places...

however... how old are you? because you can get a temporary work Visa for where you want to go in Europe and test the waters... London is busy (not my cup of tea really) and full of opportunities but it's REALLY expensive... Paris, obviously... Italy would have a huge modeling clientel and it's gorgeous there as well... although i kinda have a thing against Italians ever since my airport job last summer lol... they're very high maintenance and slow...

those are all the places i can think of... but if you go to anyplace make sure you speak their language! i know a lot of people that go places expecting to pick up the language... it's not that easy and most of them can't do it... at least have a basic understanding of it before you go and that might help you out :)

hope that helped... good luck!!!

First of all, you cannot move to Europe or Canada without having a job transfer you over. If you want to work on models, then you have to be in NY or LA, or to a lesser extent Miami as that's where the modeling agencies are located and they have annual fashion weeks. I would try to get a job with MAC whever you are, then try to see if they have any openings overseas or in Canada where they will sponsor your visa. Miami is a fun city with lots of models. And LA doesn't have to be crowded and dirty. You could live somewhere like Manhattan Beach or Redondo Beach or Santa Monica that aren't at all overcrowded and certainly aren't dirty

New York City & places in California are great hot spots.

I would stay in the USA, where makeup seems to be more popular around here.

what's wrong with LA and NYC?

u got to follow your dream and get over yr phobias and prejudices. LA and NY have many neighborhoods and all kinds of people, and you will find cool places and people.

• Erika

those human beings in South crucial will blow your brains out after which locate out later which you have been some form of very liberal paintings student. they incredibly do purely no longer provide a damn. you would be safer in Baghdad, and that i'm no longer meaning that tongue-in-cheek. stay in Covina or someplace and return and forth in. era.

How bout' Italy. That's in Europe and they have really cool makeup there. I went there when I was eleven.

Source(s): my brain

Try Florida or Nevada.

Good answers, just what I was searching for.