What of Umar R.a. Part 2 - Have the Shia always found a way to lie when there was no error but them?

Adding a statement about Ali in Azan and Iqama, considering mourning and beating oneself as a religious practice, doing the five prayers in three times rather than five separate times, celebrating the birthday of Shia Imams as a religious duty, allowing people to make golden shrines for some of the scholars who pass away and seeking cure and intercession from them are some of the well established practices of Shia brothers that are added to the Shariat. In the more recent times we can see more newly arrived practices like sending greetings to the Prophet three times after hearing the name of Imam Khomeini, organising congregational (Jama'at) Itikaf, reading a certain prayer in groups on Thursday nights, organising and performing political rallies during Hajj and shouting slogans in Friday prayers in support of the political statements of the Friday Imam, etc.

Please note that here I do not intend to criticise any of the above or to argue if these practices are allowable in Islam or not. All I am saying is that it is strange to see that a Shia brother, with such background, is criticising one of the great companions of the Prophet for (supposedly) adding a sentence to the Azan or for interpreting a Shariat rule.

It is also clear from various reports that any addition that is deemed appropriate with reference to the circumstance can also be made in the words of this call for prayer.

Here I would like to express my understanding that Azan is different from (say) a Surah of the Qur'an. While no changes can be brought about in the words of any Surah of the Qur'an, Azan is only part of the preparation for prayer in which people are advised that the prayer time has approached and they are called to join congregational prayer. Azan is only a tool to facilitate doing the prayer. When you consult the collections of Hadith you find many records that suggest that Azan was in fact the product of mutual thought of companions themselves, approved by the Prophet. If you look at books of Bukhari (No. 569), Muslim (No. 568), Sunan Termezi (No. 174) you will find that Muslims wanted to have a device for announcing the prayer time, but one that was different from what Christians and Jews used to have. In many of the ahadith, including those I have referred to above, it is the companions themselves that come up with the idea of a human being calling for prayer. Ironically in the above-referred ahadith in Bukhari and Muslim it is said that the suggestion came from Umar and the Prophet approved it. My conclusion is that while in no way can one make any changes to the words of any Surah of the Qur'an, it does not seem as forbidden to add a sentence to Azan for the matter of necessity or appropriateness by the authority of the head of state. Perhaps this is why we see that our Shia brothers add a variety of versions of the statement about Ali in their Azan (for instance some simply say "I bear witness that Ali is the Wali of Allah", while others say "I bear witness that Ali and his infallible sons are Wali of Allah").

Also there is a legion of narratives, which clearly mention that the practice has been in vogue during the Holy Prophet's (pbuh) time.

This is a very important part of the brother Hashmi's response to you. It will be only a prejudice approach that can make us focusing on certain ahadith and ignoring other ahadith. The same approach can be done with Shia sources. Do you know that the sentence of "Prayer is better than sleeping" is also approved in some of the Shia ahadith:

Al-Tahzib by Al-Toosi, Vol. 2, No. 14: "Imam Jafar says: ... Al-Taswib (i.e. the statement of 'Al-Salat Khayron Min Al-Nawm') in Iqama is part of the Sunnat.

Al-Tahzib by Al-Toosi, Vol. 2, No. 15: "Imam Baqir (RA) says: My father (i.e. Ali Ibn Alhusayn (RA) used to say 'Al-Salat Khayron Min Al-Nawm,' in his Azan at home...'

Wasa'el Al-Shia, No. 6998: "Imam Jafar (RA) says: When you are in morning prayer say 'Al-Salat Khayron Min Al-Nawm' after 'Hayye Ala Khayr Al-Amal'[1] in Azan but don't say it in Iqama.

According to the Shia scholar, Majlesi in his book Bihar Al-Anwar, Vol. 81 P. 150 certain Shia scholars of old times had allowed saying the sentence in the morning prayers. These are Ibn Al-Junayd and Al-Ju'fi.

I do appreciate that the majority of the ahadith in Shia collections and almost all their scholars do not allow this sentence in Azan or Iqama. However I wanted to establish the fact that by the prejudice approach, almost for anything, some evidences can be found.

I hope by the above elaboration on brother Hashmi's reply you can now appreciate that firstly it is not easy to conclude with a reasonable degree of confidence that the sentence was added by Umar. Secondly that even if for the sake of discussion we agree that the sentence was added by Umar, there are no rooms for criticising him about it, in particular by our Shia brothers. This is the result of a "research approach" to the issue rather than a "pr

• Favorite Answer

.....your copy and paste missed a bit, it ends with "than a "pr...'

Source(s): truth speaks for itself.........

Ehtejaj-e-Tibrisi Page 230 Volume 1 : Tradition of Imam Jaffer-e-Sadiq [as]: From among you, who ever and where ever one says La ila ha illallah - Mohammadun Rasool Allah one should also say " Ali [as] is Amirul Momineen & wali Allah.

Ehtejaj-e-Tibrisi Page 176 Volume 1 ( Page 173 or 174 in some editions ): Tradition of Imam Ali Raza [as] : God said that he will not accept anyones acts of worship ( Amal ) unless he accepts and stands witness to Ali [as] Wilayat just like he accepts the Risalat od Mohammed [pbuh & hp]

Biharul Anwar (Volume 9 page 333 ) According to a well source tradition when Our Holy Prophet [pbuh] instructed "Habshi's , Qabti's , Ajmi's and Arabs to say Qalma-e-Shahadat he also instructed them to accept and say Ali [as] is Ameerul Momineen and is " Wali -e- Amr " after me.

Ayatullah Abdul Nabi Iraqi writes in his Book " Al Taleen " Page 155 : Hazrat Salman Farsi in the presence of our Holy Prophet [pbuh] always used Ali un Wali Ullah in Azaan"