Ford 300 with a miss?

I have a tractor that uses an inline 6 Ford 300. I don't really know too much about the engine, it is carberated with no emissions control at all, so I put it pre 1975.

When cold, it fires up and runs smoothly. Once warm, it begins to miss. I can't isolate one cylinder that is missing by pulling the plug wires off, ever plug wire I pull off makes it worse. I am leaning towards a bad coil, but would like some feed back from someone that might have experience with these engines.

I also do suspect a bad head gasket, after about 250 hours the coolant was about 1/2 a gallon low, so nothing major. Could this be a contributing factor?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

pull the plugs and run a compression check for a bad cylinder, if all ok, put in new plugs and wires, new points, set to 0.025", new cap and rotor and your good to go...

you have a leaking intake gasket. Try tightening up all the intake bolts, see if it helps, if not just pull it and put in a new one. When it gets warm, it expands and sucks air. Put blue locktite on the bolts, they have a lot of weight hanging on them!