Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

I have a couple questions about Braces?

Okay, so, I have very straight teeth except my bottom molars are growing out past the top ones, when it is supposed to be the other way around. My dentist says I need braces URGENTLY to fix this so I wont have problems chewing when I'm older. I'm going to get a second opinion tomorrow, but I can already feel when I bite down my molars kind of grind together and it's very uncomfortable to chew. My fist question is: Do you think I need braces? or just a retainer?

#2 Do braces hurt?

#3 What foods can't I eat if I get braces?

#4 My cousin just got braces and she said that braces nowadays you don't get to pick colours for? is that true?

#5 How long will I have to wait until I get my braces put in? (if I need them)

Thanks a lot. :)

Also, my Dentist that said that is a total cheapskate and was trying to sell my mom all kinds of things for her teeth that she didn't need,so he might be just saying I need braces...

Favorite Answer

1. It seems that from what you have said it seems like a good idea to go with the braces.

2. Not at all do the brace hurt.you will feel pressure when getting them tightened the first 3-4 times but then your mouth gets tougher and it does not hurt.

3.depends on orthodontist normally: hubba bubba gum, popcorn, toffee, and chewy candys

4.No that is not true. You get a variety of choices such as white,blue,pink,green,purple even yellow. also depending on orthodontist on what colours to pick from.

5. all depends for me it was right a way. the day you go to comform they start with mold and xrays and your on your way. after that its about 3 weeks.

Source(s): Personal experience i had braces.
  • dathip

That is a very good question. I would still say braces like you said as the gums expand your molars past the top ones. First when you get your braces your teeth will be numb for a week meaning anything you try to eat will hurt your teeth extremely. Braces do not hurt if you have continiously been flossing to avoid external bleeding from your gums. It takes roughly 30 mins to get braces. No that is absolutely false that your cannot pick your colors. You can pick pink, blue, red and all the colors of the rainbow. XD You cannot eat foods that are crunchy and hard, otherwise your braces will break and you have to restart all over again however it will only just take a couple of mins. For the week just eat soft foods such as jello, drink plenty of liquids, and stay away from hard foods such as carrots.

peace

I would say you will probably need braces! However you are right about dentists and orthodontists trying to sell you things! An orthodontist will stick braces on anyone! I would defiantly get a second opinion! If your teeth are uncomfortable then you might as well get braces because your teeth won't fix themselves and will most likely just get worse in the future! Braces really aren't that bad! Since you don't have many problems you will probably only have them for a short time anyway! You can also get Invisalign which is clear, or clear braces which are much less noticeable!! Hope this helps!

1. Braces!

2. When you get them on, sometimes. And the first week they're a pain in the butt.

3. Popcorn, hard candy, gum, hmm. I can't remember what else.

4. No. I got to pick colors all the time.

5. I'm not sure. When I was tested I had to wait a few months. Have you already had the little test thing where they put this play-dough looking stuff in a 'tray' shaped like your upper jaw, then they put it in your mouth and it turns out to be an imprint of your upper jaw? If you have, you'll have to wait at least a few months.

Source(s): prior experience

i just got mine 2 mo. ago =]

Do you think I need braces? or just a retainer?- YOU GET A RETAINER AFTER YOUR BRACES.

#2 Do braces hurt?- NOT AT ALL TO PUT THEM ON BUT THE NEXT DAY IT WILL HURT TO CHEW, ALOT!

#3 What foods can't I eat if I get braces?- CHEWEY STUFF (CANDY), PEANUTS, CORN ON THE COB, POP CORN, AND YOUR DOC WILL TELL YOU THE REST.

#4 My cousin just got braces and she said that braces nowadays you don't get to pick colours for? is that true?- NOT AT ALL! YOU GET THEM CHANGED EVEY 2 MOS.

#5 How long will I have to wait until I get my braces put in?- THAT ALL DEPENDS HOW BAD YOUR TEETH ARE. =]

-Chelsea

hope i helped!

Source(s): expiriance

Braces only hurt when they get tightened( this will happen every couple of weeks.) With braces you can't eat whole apple (cut up are fine), popcorn, and can't chew gum (very important), you can still pick colors when you go for checkups every couple of weeks, it can take a few weeks before they will give you braces

Source(s): I've had braces

1) They usually make you get braces anyway

#2 Do braces hurt? when you get them tightened, besides that not at all

#3 What foods can't I eat if I get braces? anything

#4 My cousin just got braces and she said that braces nowadays you don't get to pick colours for? is that true? no

#5 How long will I have to wait until I get my braces put in? Depends on your doctor

1) i would get braces because otherwise it would be uncomfortable now and when ur older

2) braces only hurt the first time and when u get them tightened

3) you cant eat hard candies, caramels, gum and stuff like that

4) no u can pick which colors you want... theres even clear

5) well it depends on if u need spacers or not but u can probably get them pretty soon

well it does hurt for couple of days on a scale of 1-10 in pain i wud say 7. for the first few days u just eat liquid type food. u can choose the colour of braces in uk but dnt kno wer u r getin it done. and i think 3 or 4 months waiting depends on how clean u keep ur teeth. thats abt it:)

Source(s): personal experience

You need braces,retainers are for thumb suckers. They hurt like hell when you first get them and every time you tighten them.

You cant eat toffee, your not supposed to eat chewing gum but i do and nothing has ever happened.

Depends who your dentist is, I chose Black and purple last time

Depends but if he said URGENTLY I am sure you wont have to wait long =) have fun.