Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

It has been said that you can judge a society by how it treats its weakest members How are we doing?

The last time I asked this question people actually claimed no one had ever said anything about judging a society or a civilisation by how it treats it weakest members --- WOW So for those who might fall into that camp of the dark ages below are a FEW of the people who have said You judge the society by how it treats its weakest members

Mahatma Gandhi said "You can judge a society by how they treat their weakest members."

Our society must make it right and possible for old people not to fear the young or be deserted by them, for the test of a civilization is the way that it cares for its helpless members.~Pearl S. Buck (1892-1973), My Several Worlds [1954].

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped. " ~ Last Speech of Hubert H. Humphrey

"Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members -- the last, the least, the littlest."

~Cardinal Roger Mahony, In a 1998 letter, Creating a Culture of Life

"A society will be judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members and among the most vulnerable are surely the unborn and the dying,"

~Pope John Paul II

Aristotle has often been quoted as saying you can judge a nation by the way it treats its most vulnerable citizens.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Who are the weakest --- and how are they being treated ---- what voice do they have --- and how do you rate the worth of your society by this measure ?

------------------------------

10 --- A complete egalitarian utopia

8 -- Well --- the poor are not hated the sick are not isolated the old are safe the dissenters and the unpopular are protected

6 - Problems arise and things are tough because of some legal and cultural bias that the weak endure but this is balanced out by moderating forces

4 -- The weakest members are shunned imprisoned used as slave labour for the strong and the aggressive

2 -- The weakest are openly hunted down and used as slaves or body parts or killed for sport

0 -- Total tribal anarchy --- there is no society

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

5. if you are not a useful member of society most roads will eventually be closed to you. those who are unable to enrich others are pushed lower and lower down the rungs of our society until they are placed in the lowest position out of sight and mind.

our society is like a great machine. there are those who command the machine, those who keep the machine running, and those who are fed into the machine to be consummed body and mind until there is nothing left but a dessicated body and a broken mind.

• 4 years ago

Although I agree we need to be compassionate to those less fortunate I also very strongly feel it should not be done the way our government handles social programs. Social programs should be geared to requiring virtually everyone to work. As it is now welfare reform simply moved millions of lazy people to SSI where there is no time limit. I have seen very few people who can't work in some manner and most would have a higher self image if they did contribute something to society. Social programs should only provide the base essentials. Many people live far better on our social programs then they should. The working poor (those earning minimum wage or close) live with less then those who decide to sit on their duffs. Food stamps should never be used to buy things like lobster, pop, candy, chips, etc. Food stamps were not meant for people to live high on the hog but to live UNTIL they can get a job and buy their own food. They shouldn't eat better then those who are paying for the program! Charitable donations as a choice should have more latitude as to how the money is spent - if a church that gets donations decides to buy rib eye steaks for their poor then that's fine with me but the government shouldn't allow it with taxpayer money. I know many taxpayers who can't afford expensive foods but they still pay taxes. Those people shouldn't be forced to give money to someone else who lives better then they do!!

• 10 years ago

The classes and the races too weak to master? the new conditions of life must give way They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust

• 10 years ago

Well...we give out welfare, and medicare and foodstamps.

So the poor have housing...food...spending money...healthcare

sounds like we are doing pretty darn good to me.

I'd say at least an 8

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Well whoever said that really must have a problem with our ultimate creator-nature. She is an utter fool and barbarian, huh? We should sic PETA after her. And throw Darwin in hell just for seeing her on a regular basis.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

How are we doing???? Ask the right wing in this country. If you are not out there making a profit for some corporation, you should be treated like soylent green.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Pretty good since millions of Americans are on some sort of state aid. 25% in my state alone.

• 10 years ago

8 - the liberals seem to be doing quite well.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

It was probably a liberal who said that.

"The meek shall inherit the Earth." Six feet of it.

• 10 years ago

The left making fun of Trig Palin?

Obama on Leno - the special olympics comment

Rahmbo - the F ing R tard comment

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.