What are these cookies called, and how do you make them?? and no i don't think their sugar/shotbread cookies?


I got this from a chinese cook book, but there is this one ingredient i don't know what it is and i was wonder if you know what this kind of cookies it is, and how to make it.

When i was a kid i loved to eat them so i wanted to make them :D


It's those kind of cookies where you put it in those frosting bags, and you sqweez them out.

3 Answers

  • Emu
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    It looks like a Spritz cookie to me. Here is a recipe for a cream cheese spritz cookie which is very good.

    Spritz cookies are usually made with a cookie press but if you don't have one....

    ...... you can put the dough in a pastry bag with a large star tip and pipe the cookies out. Twisting the tip as you squeeze the cookie out will give it the swirl like the cookie in your photo.

    Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies

    My grandmother's recipe for this sweet and slightly tangy cookie dates back to the 1960s. Luckily, today’s cookie presses are much easier to use than the old hand-crank variety, so baking dozens of pretty little cookies is a snap.Yields about 100 cookies, depending on size and style.

    8 oz. (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature

    3 oz. cream cheese (I use Philadelphia brand), softened at room temperature

    1 cup granulated sugar

    1 large egg yolk

    1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

    11-1/4 ounces (2-1/2 cups) all-purpose flour, sifted

    1 egg white, lightly beaten

    Heat the oven to 375°F. With a stand mixer (use the paddle attachment) or a hand mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, and sugar in a large bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat again until blended. Add the flour and mix on low speed until blended.

    Fit a cookie press with a die plate. Scoop up about a quarter of the dough and, using a small amount of flour if needed, shape the dough into a log just narrower than the barrel of the cookie press. Slide the log into the cookie press and spritz the cookies directly onto ungreased baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Brush the tops with the beaten egg white and sprinkle with colored sugar if using. Repeat with the remaining dough. If you don't have a cookie press you can put the dough in a pastry bag with a large star tip and pipe the cookies out. Twisting the tip as you squeeze the cookie out will give it the swirl like the cookie in your photo.

    Bake until the cookies are just golden around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes (it’s best to bake one sheet at a time). Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet on a rack for 5 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely. Be sure the baking sheet is cool before spritzing more cookies.

    Store at room temperature or freeze in an airtight container, separating the cookie layers with waxed paper.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Sarah
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    I grew up calling them cream puffs. We bought them at the local bakery but I have a recipe that uses a choux paste--looks different but tastes pretty close to what I remember. Edit: if you'll let your mouse pointer hover over the second pic you posted, you'll see it is called "cream horn." Search the web or your favorite recipe site for cream horn or cream puff & you should find a recipe using choux paste.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Alan G
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    My first thought is almond cookies as these are common among asian areas.

    My second thought is either butter or "spritz" cookies.

    In all three cases, there are lots of recipes on line for them. Start at Allrecipes.com

    Good Luck!

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.