How do i check my transmission fluid hot or cold ?

I have a 1997 dodge neon and need to know this and if i put too much in it is there a drain plug to get some out and where is it located ? How much tranmission fluid do they hold it was really low and i put in almost a full bottle is that ok ?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Almost all transmissions I've run across have the two marks. The space between those marks is about 1/2 quart. For some reason they wanted you to put fluid in, half quart at a time.

If there was fluid in there and you saw it on the dip stick and you put a full quart in you probably overfilled it. If it has a drain plug you can take some out, If not, just hope it doesn't foam and lose effeciency.

• 5 years ago

As far as checking the fluid, check it while it's hot (engine running)! You'll need to consult your car's manual (the original or a Chilton's) to determine the amount of fluid the car holds. Look on the dipstick and there should be a high/low marking or grid to indicate the appropriate level.

• You should have two marks on the dip stick, lower one for cold, upper one for hot.

Verify in your manual if the tranny oil should be checked with engine running or not.

• 1 decade ago

Check it hot, running, and in park. Make sure you are on a level surface.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I would recommend checking it RUNNING while in park. I have always checked mine running. & it never failed me.

GoOd LuCk ((O_o))

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.