hi asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 10 years ago

How would I say this passage from Romeo and Juliet?

Juliet: Thou know'st the mask of night is on my face,

Else would a maiden blush bepaint my cheek

For that which thou hast heard me speak to-night

Fain would I dwell on form, fain, fain deny

What I have spoke: but farewell compliment!

Dost thou love me? I know thou wilt say 'Ay,'

And I will take thy word: yet if thou swear'st,

Thou mayst prove false; at lovers' perjuries

Then say, Jove laughs. O gentle Romeo,

If thou dost love, pronounce it faithfully:

Or if thou think'st I am too quickly won,

I'll frown and be perverse an say thee nay,

So thou wilt woo; but else, not for the world.

In truth, fair Montague, I am too fond,

And therefore thou mayst think my 'havior light:

But trust me, gentleman, I'll prove more true

Than those that have more cunning to be strange.

I should have been more strange, I must confess,

But that thou overheard'st, ere I was ware,

My true love's passion: therefore pardon me,

And not impute this yielding to light love,

Which the dark night hath so discovered.

The sentances are in awkward form and i'm not sure how the sentances are supposed to be said.

Thanks (:

• Lv 4
    Best Answer

Into modern English? It would go roughly like this. You don't need to make the lines and punctuation exactly the same, your teacher should be fine with just paragraph forms.

You know that the darkness of night is concealing my face, or else you would see me blushing because of everything I have said tonight, which you have heard. I could have played "hard-to-get" and denied all my feelings for you... but goodbye, etiquette. Do you love me? I know you will say yes, and I believe you. Because if you swear, you might just say that Jove, the god of oaths, laughs at lovers' promises because they're never kept. Oh, gentle Romeo, if you do love me, say so in good faith. Or, if you think I am too easy to get, I will frown and be stubborn and refuse you, as long as you start loving me. Truthfully, dear Montague, I am too loving, and therefore you may think I am behaving immodestly, but trust me, sir, I will prove more dedicated (faithful, loving) than those pretending to be hard to get. I should have been more hard-to-get (distant, etc.) I admit, but you already overheard my confession of love. So forgive me, and don't think that because I love you so easily that my love, shown this dark night, isn't serious.

Good luck. Romeo and Juliet is tough!

ask Lord capulet,lady Capulet,the Montuges,Friar Larence,Tybalt,Benvolio,Mercitio,and Romeo about it