Why don't Methodists believe Mormons are Christians?

I'm Methodist and think they are

Favorite Answer

Mormonism and traditional Christianity, such as Methodist, differ on many significant points of theology and doctrine.

Source of Authority. Traditional Christianity accepts the Bible as complete and authoritative. Mormonism teaches that the canon of Scripture was not closed when the Bible was completed. They have three sources in addition to the Bible, all of which they believe contain God's revelations -- the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price; as well as the teachings of the past and current church Prophets. Mormons follow these teachings even when they contradict the Bible. "I have never yet preached a sertuon and sent it out to the children of men, that they may not call Scripture. Let me have the privilege of correcting a sermon, and it is as good a scripture" (Brigham Young, Journa1 of Discourses, vol. 13:95; also see vol. 13:264).

Trinity. Mormonism teaches polytheism (versus monotheism taught by traditional Christianity), believing that the universe is inhabited by many gods who produce spirit children. Joseph Smith declared, "I will preach on the plurality of Gods. I have always declared God to be a distinct personage, Jesus Christ a separate and distinct personage from God the Father, and the Holy Ghost was a distinct personage and a Spirit: and these three constitute three distinct personages and three Gods" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 370).

God. In Mormon theology, the god of our planet is believed to have once been a man on another planet, who through self-effort and the help of his own father-god, was appointed by a counsel of gods in the heavens to his high position as the god of planet Earth, and now has a physical, resurrected, glorified body. Mormonism also teaches that it is possible for men to become Gods. "Here then is eternal life -- to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done before you..." (Teachings of the Prophet, Joseph Smith, p. 346).

Christ. Mormonism acknowledges the divinity of Christ, but Mormon doctrine on what constitutes divinity falls seriously short of the Biblical standard. Mormonism teaches that Jesus, Lucifer, and all the demons, as well as all mankind, are actually all spirit brothers and sisters, born in the spirit world as spirit babies to our man-god Heavenly Father and his goddess wives. "I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I" (Joseph Smith, D.H C., vol. 6:408-409).

Salvation. Mormon theology teaches that the atonement of Christ was essential to our salvation and eternal life with God, but that it is not sufficient. Christ's shed blood on the cross provides for universal resurrection of all people, but does not pay for personal sins; according to Mormonism, only Christ's blood shed in the Garden of Gethsemane atones for personal sin. Besides faith in Christ, complete and permanent repentance of all sin as well as many good works are required. Mormonism also teaches that one must be baptized in water to be saved, and that salvation will also be available in the next world for those "missing-out" in this one. Therefore, Mormons avidly pursue genealogy and practice baptism for the dead.

Heaven and Hell. Mormonism teaches that there are three degrees of glory: Celestial (for good Mormons able to cease sinning in this lifetime), Terrestrial (for good people who do not comply with all the teachings of Mormonism), and Telestial (for those who have lived unclean earthly lives). (See also Mormon Doctrines, p. 348.) Mormonism teaches that there is a hell, but only for the "sons of perdition," a very small number of souls that cannot be redeemed. According to Mormonism, then, the vast majority of mankind will be "saved," though it should be obvious that not everyone will make it to the Celestial Kingdom .

There are many other issues of theology that separate Mormonism from traditional Christianity, but this list will suffice for an initial introduction.

Many people assume that if they read the Book of Mormon they will get a good idea of LDS beliefs. However, the Book of Mormon teaches one God, not plural gods as in Mormonism. It mentions heaven and hell, not three degrees of glory, no temple marriage or secret temple ceremonies. It does not teach baptism for the dead, pre-existence of man, eternal progression or polygamy. One of the most objectionable doctrines in the Book of Mormon is its view of skin color. White skin is seen as desirable, dark skin is seen as a mark of God's displeasure. Smith wrote the Book of Mormon in the late 1820's. Over the next fifteen years his doctrines underwent radical changes which are seen in his rev

Source(s): utlm.org

When I was a Methodist, I thought Mormons were Christians. Now I'm a Deist, and I still do.

Answer truthful to these questions: Do you never need to believe about cash due to the fact that you always have more than you can spend? Do you reside in a home that is so fantastic in every method you have to pinch yourself every day to make sure you're not dreaming? Do you never ever concern yourself with your health since you always feel and look remarkable every day? Do you never stress about your close relationships since they are pleased and harmonious and you constantly feel liked and pleased? Do you never complain about anything at all?-- if the response of any of this question is no than you just can be found in the ideal place, with this guide https://tr.im/oDtYR , Manifestation Miracle you will find the reality on how to get all you want from life.

The Manifestation Miracle is a 159 page, action by action guide that can show you how to get the kind of life you desire. It' not some magic tablet or some kind of hocus pocus. The function of this guide is to be able to assist you look at the world differently, alter your mindset and as an outcome change your idea procedure. It' just when you do this will you have an opportunity to manifest things you desire to. This guide does an excellent task of showing you what you require to carry out in order to start making changes for the much better.

Mormons do believe in Jesus, but they have a vastly different definition of who Jesus is.

I'm not saying they aren't Christians, but they are about as close to a Methodist as this atheist is.

It's not just Methodists. It's basically all fundamentalist Christians, like myself. I'm non-denominational, just so you'll know.

Mormons believe that Jesus isn't the God the Son, the second person of the Trinity. They believe that Jesus and satan are brothers, born from God the Father in Heaven from His wife. They believe that Jesus was born from a natural birth, not conceived by the Holy Spirit, and that God the Father is a resurrected human being from a pre-world existence. There are also other non-biblical teachings Mormons believe like they believe in many gods, not the one true God.

According to fundamentalist Christian teachings, Mormonism is basically a cult. Putting your faith in Mormonism is putting your faith in a Jesus who will not save you from your sins.

Why just Methodists? I'm Methodist and I'm not sure that I made that classification... they just have an addition to our Bible, right?

Most people judge Mormons without first researching their religion. I've lived with some and let me tell you, they uphold most of the things in the bible way better than most Christians i know.

Really to me, Christianity = Believe in God. Check. Believe he had a son name Jesus bourn to Mary who died for earth’s sins. Check. Believe he rose again and did truly not die. Check….really it’s a branch of Christianity its not that different from other more conventional branches.

And don’t pull that whole “they have secret evil rituals in the temple.” No…they don’t. Aside form reading up on them on my own I asked my mom (Mormon family who took me in) about some of the things that they do in temple…its not evil or even strange at all..

Jcook: Lol every prophet claims what they wrote was deleverd by God. Joseph is just as credible as they are.

Because Mormans do not believe Christ is TRUE GOD. THEY SEE JESUS AS A PROPHET like the prophet Mohamad. As a true Christian, we know that Jesus told us "I am the WAY the truth and the life.." and The Holy Sipirit gave us FAITH to believe in Him.

The Mormons reject God's free gift and, if they continue to reject the Holy Spirit, they will end up in hell!

Source(s): The Bible and personal instructionsfrom a Mormon

They do believe that Jesus is the son of God, and came to earth to save them from their sins. If they accept the fact they're sinners in need of a Savior, and they take that free gift---then they are Christians. Sadly, most Mormons go off on a tangent with their "Book of Mormon" claiming it is additional to the Bible, when the fact is it wasn't God-inspired. It was written by a man.

Mormons are a cult. They do not believe in the Trinity. They believe that God and Satan were brothers and that Jesus was first a man then became a God.

• Bianca

To be frank, I was a Methodist for a while and I wasn't a Christian

Understanding that Christ is the ONLY way to heaven is the difference between heaven and hell.

Source(s): Fundamental Baptist