Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Poll: what is the difference between clever & smart?

Favorite Answer

clever is nicking some ones bubble, smart is keeping them.

I don't really know... I suppose the way i think of it is that theres a few kinds of cleve&smart:

One, Clever/Smart, being knowlagable about the things you'd typicaly associate with intelligence, knowing about the world, sort of, academic subjects: numbers etc.

Another: Being clever/smart: knowing about people, behaviour, being streetwise, knowing how to communicate well... etc.

And even another: just being clever in your own field, knowing a lot about your passions/interests.

I think there's a lot of diffirences between the words, in the sense that there are variations of 'clever' & 'smart'. But I think they both really mean the same thing.

If that makes sense

this should do it:

clever |ˈklevər|

adjective ( cleverer , cleverest )

quick to understand, learn, and devise or apply ideas; intelligent : a clever and studious young woman | how clever of him to think of this!

• skilled at doing or achieving something; talented : he was clever at getting what he wanted | she is clever with her hands.

• (of a thing, action, or idea) showing intelligence or skill; ingenious : a simple but clever idea for helping people learn computing.

• superficially ingenious or witty : a story too clever and tidy to be real.

• dated [usu. with negative ] informal sensible; well-advised : it wasn't too clever, leaving Dolly alone.

smart |smärt|

adjective

1 informal having or showing a quick-witted intelligence : if he was that smart he would never have been tricked.

• (of a device) capable of independent and seemingly intelligent action : hi-tech smart weapons.

• showing impertinence by making clever or sarcastic remarks : don't get smart or I'll whack you one.

2 (of a person) clean, neat, and well-dressed : you look very smart.

• (of clothes) attractively neat and stylish : a smart blue skirt.

• (of a thing) bright and fresh in appearance : a smart green van.

• (of a person or place) fashionable and upscale : a smart restaurant.

3 quick; brisk : I gave him a smart salute.

• painfully severe : a dog that snaps is given a smart blow.

Source(s): New Oxford American Dictionary

Smart people just know stuff. The clever people know it and do it

you know the difference between clever and smart when your clever and not when your smart

• .

I think clever is being naturally intelligent while smartness is achieved by studying

I kind of associate "clever" with sort of like street smarts where as the other is more like academic smarts.

• Nachel

Both are usually appeals for things you ask for selfishly or ought to take care of yourself. The Lottery costs you a around 70 cents for each dollar of return on the long term, and it has only materialistic benefits. Prayer doesn t cost you anything, the results are based on the request s agreement with the perfect divine plan, and it can have eternal benefits. The Lottery will break your bank account, but investing in prayer builds your heavenly account -- if you have accepted the deposit that s waiting to take you out of the red.

You're clever, i'm smart. Sums it up

Judas is smart but i am clever