How to paint swirls like this?

I am painting a tree just like in this picture, and I wanted to do the swirls, but i dont know how and dont want to ruin the painting I have already done. This is what I want to do >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/48133482@N07/44118701...

Please answer quickly, because I am trying to finish this painting by tommorow morning so I can give it to my friend for her birthday.

Favorite Answer

Do it with pencils first, shade it in where you want the swirls, if it looks bad just rub it out of course.

You could also it with Charcoal and smudge it in swirls by hand.

Good luck.

On your palette place two or more of blending colours, load your brush (preferably a thick one) with them all so you can see each individual colour (this doesn't have to be perfect, just make sure you have all the colours) and make a tight, thick line swirl starting from the middle and swirling outwards. You may want to practice on paper first, before going onto your work. Then you might want to make some more definite highlights of a certain colour, so using a smaller brush make a another swirl over the top of the one you just did to make the colour you chose more visible. Then blend it a bit if you want.

Sounds like a great gift for your friend (: