hunter
hunter asked in TravelMexicoOther - Mexico · 1 decade ago

Canadians vacationing in Mexico?

In view of attacks, robberies ,and even murders to Canadians there .

What do you see as an answer or underlining reason .

This is a recent one --->http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/calsun/100306/canada/ca...

Do you think too much jewelery is displayed along with a showy display of ones means of life.

One traveller told me he has witnessed some display many finger rings ,and expensive watches.

Nice bike Jimmy.what is it.

And you can answer your door here where I live in Canada at night,however with the new oil finds there is lots of garbage coming in with it recent years from outside .

Gata de Barrio --Do you work for the tourist dept in Mexico.or Gov.office

Favorite Answer

Hola. I live down here in Mexico, without too much issue but I'm always aware.

But I have to throw in my two cents. Trouble can happen anywhere. My parents have RV'd all of Mexico for over 30 years without problems. But about 15 years ago, their best friends were 'snow birds' and were killed execution style in a rest stop while travelling down the coast of Mexico. Their assailants were caught some time later using their credit cards. It was completely random and they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Very tragic and affected us, but did not stop us from loving and living here in Mexico.

Pfffft! Homicide rates in Mexico City these days are the same as in Los Angeles. FYI, the homicide rate in Washington DC is over 3 times more and that city has only a tiny fraction of the population the DF has.

Mexicans find Canada a bizarre country too you know. People here scratch their heads why do Canadians leave their front doors wide open unattended all day and yet nobody robs their house.

I'm white, don't look mexican but with a strange accent (and have a HARD time convincing locals I actually AM a mexican citizen), lived in Mexico City (a city most mexicans are too scared to live in) more than half my life and have always been fine. Never been mugged and haven't even faced a pickpocket incident. Street smarts are a huge factor here.

Mexicans would never even guess you were Canadian to begin with. They'd probably think you were a ******. Because all white people HAVE to be Americans! Even mexicans have a hard time digesting the logic that hispanic gringos or Canadians or Germans or whatever exist.

What happened to those two tourists is clearly why criminals know it's just STOOOOOPID to shoot, mug at gunpoint or kidnap foreigners, because the government will find and arrest the people that did it. If the tourists had been mexicans, nobody would have given much interest. And everyone knows that a kidnapping prison term is far more severe than a first degree homicide sentence. Homicide here is a 40 year sentence vs a life sentence with no chance of parole for kidnapping. Criminals obviously avoid attacking tourists unless they were out there looking for trouble.

It's more probable you'll die walking across the street and get hit by a car at home than get murdered at gunpoint in Mexico as a tourist. Just chill out, have a nice time, don't do stupid things and learn COMMON sense like don't walk in a dark alley at night alone. I feel safe in Mexico and I've travelled to some really dangerous places alone.

Source(s): I live in Mexico.

Mexico City is just a fascinating capital that beguiles their readers with endless possibilities therefore choose the best choice with hotelbye . Mexico City is among the greatest downtown areas on earth, with 16 boroughs and more than 300 neighbourhoods. Many of the most visited tourist attractions in Mexico City are concentrated in the Historic Centre, like the Plaza de la Constitucion or Zocalo, the National Palace, Metropolitan Cathedral, Templo Mayor, Palace of Fine Arts and Alameda Park. Several prevents north of the Palace of Fine Arts, Plaza Garibaldi is one of the best places in Mexico City to listen to live mariachi music.

Uh, I sure don't think it is any organized attack on Canadians. Most Mexicans couldn't tell a Canadian from an Irishman. Mexico is a third world country rife with internal corruption and rampant drug cartels. It is just not a safe place to visit. I have traveled by auto through Mexico and always find a a slightly scary thing to do. Road blocks by Mexican military that is composed of 18-20 year olds with sub-machine guns supposedly looking for drug runners but willing to take any kind of a bribe. I suggest you Canadians, and others, just have fun in New Mexico or Arizona if you want hot and Spanish.

My definition of third world is that of a developing nation lacking in a strong government, probably corrupted, with a poor educational system, a depressed economy that is unable to turn around due to improper or lack of natural resources and a very low income per capita.

Ireland, thirty years ago was borderline, but has turned itself around with high-tech companies, increased tourism, a major decline in friction with Great Britain and a rebirth of Irish history. My bio states that I love the Emerald Isle (not that I was born there, like my wife) and I have visited there often, most recently last spring. I go to both the Republic and Northern when my wife and I visit.

That is a truly regrettable thing that happened to that couple. It would be quite terrifying to have something like that happen to you. However, how many home robberies happened the same nite or the same week in Canada. Of course crime happens, but it happens in the U.S. and Canada too. That does not mean Canadians and Americans are targets in Mexico. Before I left the U.S. to live in Mexico, my house was robbed twice in 2 years, a foreign tourist was shot and killed in the parking lot at the neighborhood pharmacy, several women were attacked in the parking lot at the mall a mile away...and I lived in a "low crime" city. Crime happens everywhere...read the Canadian and American papers for the day that robbery happened in Mexico. Everyone needs to be wise and careful, but we also need to not blow things out of proportion.

• Oreo

I f a person is rich and can afford places such as Cancun then they are pretty safe cas the banditos know the Gov will hang them for bothering tourist and course there are guards around.

Other then that if just visiting for a couple days across the border always come back to the US side at night where its safer and go back again the next day/ A big fancy motorhome is asking for trouble down there.

The moral of that story is do NOT open your door to Strangers.

Do you know what happened last night in the rest of North America. You gonna be afraid of that I don`t I do Not know where to suggest one would have to move!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World

PS IRISH BOY ,,YOU NEED TO LOOK UP THE MEANING OF "THIRD WORLD". You are obviously not from Northern Ireland to make a statement like that.

Do you have more information on how many people were shot and killed in American last night?

The underlying reason is what it always is Drugs or Money. Just like it is everywhere.

Camping in Mexico has always been on my list of things that are too dangerous.

Irish..sounds like you are describibing the USA.

I am a citizen of N Irelend...Nice to know I am loved lol