Psychiatric Service Dogs?

I have severe chronic depression with occasional hopeless/ suicidal thoughts. I realized a while ago that I needed a dog, but at the moment I am unable to afford one because on top of the adoption fee my landlord also wants a deposit to allow one in the house.

Because of my condition I am unable to work.

I just found out about the psychiatric service dogs and this is the miracle dog that I need.

Does anyone know if there are places where you can get and train your PSD, like the dogs for the blind, and is there anyway to get financial help for something like this. I am in Ontario Canada. And I am going to talk to my doctor about this, but I am getting worse by the day. I need something to focus on to keep my mind occupied, so I want answers now, if you have them.

Thank you very much

Please don't bother to answer if you are going to ignore the actual question

Favorite Answer

It typically takes 18-24 months to fully train a service dog. Getting a dog from a program also typically takes years.

I think what you are really asking for at this point, what is a better answer for you, is an emotional support animal. They require no special training beyond good pet manners because they don't work in public places like service dogs do. You can adopt one wherever you find well behaved pets. In the U.S. at least pet deposits are supposed to be waived. I'm in the U.S. and am therefore more familiar with U.S. laws than Canadian, but here's a link to the Ontarian equivalent of the ADA: http://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/stat/so-2005-c-11...

You may find some additional information here: http://www.servicedogcentral.org/content/node/116

As I said, Canadian law is not my strong suit, but I think that in most or at least some provinces some sort of special ID card is required and your doctor might have to be involved in you getting that. It's what I've heard from some Canadian service dog users, but I don't know how accurate they are.

Before you do all of this though, you should sit down and work up a budget because dogs are expensive to keep. The adoption fee is usually the least of the expense. Here's an article with info to help you work out whether you can really afford a dog. A smaller pet might be more in budget.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2106&a...

-----------

Here are some lists of programs that train service dogs: http://servicedogcentral.org/content/node/262 There are very few that train PSDs and even fewer that train them in Canada.

They're going to tell you the same things I did as far as budgeting goes and ask you to prove you can afford to provide for the dog.

They're going to ask you for proof of disability from your doctor and a list of the things you cannot do because of your disability. A service dog is individually trained to perform specific tasks that mitigate a person's disability. Comfort, companionship, therapy, etc. aren't the job of a service dog. The way you ask your question, it really does sound like what you need is an emotional support animal, which you can get faster, IF you check the laws I mentioned to see if you qualify for that kind of protection in your province.

For financial aid you'll have to ask your program. It's extremely rare that it is available. Usually at best the program will assist you in doing your own fund raising.

Source(s): I'm a service dog trainer.

Find what motivates your dog. Some dogs do anything for food. Some dogs do anything for Toys. Some do anything for a good petting. Some do anything for only one type of food, like cheese, or hotdog. Some only have interest in training for 5 minutes at a time, and others can go for an hour. Figure out what your dog is willing to work for, and then work with her in sessions that are no longer than she can tolerate. How to train your dog properly https://tr.im/zqkeJ

Sign up for a dog obedience training class. It will not train your dog. It will give you training on how you can train your dog. Most people understand the idea of training, but there is a right and a wrong way to do it, and there is good and bad technique. Timing and consistency is very important, and it helps to have feedback of someone watching you who can help you improve your technique to get more efficient results with your dog.

However, she may be somewhat anxious around other dogs, sort of like the shy kid on the playground. She will benefit from continuing what you are doing as far as asking her to sit before entering, but there are more things along those lines that will help her to calmly go in and out of the dog park. She may also benefit from going in short bursts, or only when fewer dogs are present, or avoiding times when other dogs that make her nervous are present. Maybe she just plays loud - my brother's dog is this way - or maybe she is a dogpark bully - sorry it is possible. But more likely she is just a little anxious around new dogs and she wants to play but just doesn't quite know how to do that and still feel comfortable. Don't be surprised if your dog does not actually like the dog park, and maybe she would get more enjoyment and less stress out of simply going for a good walk somewhere else.

A wagging tail does not mean that your dog is happy or even comfortable with the situation. It means your dog is emotionally aroused. This could be a happy arousal, or it could be a nervous arousal, or it could be an aggressive arousal. Go youtube it, there are plenty of videos of 'vicious' dogs who are throwing a very aggressive fit of barking and snarling while their tail is wagging vigorously. Even police dogs who are not let off the leash to chase down a suspect can be lunging and barking and snarling, and their tails are still going.

Check out Kingston 4 Paws Academy in Ontario. All clients receive dogs free of charge!!!

4pawsacademy.ca

If you cannot afford a dog a the moment can you not arrange to see a pet as therapy dog to visit you. I know someone who had a mental illness and could not work, and a woman used to bring a pet as therapy dog to see him every week which really cheered him up. I live in the Uk though. But maybe theres a similar thing in canda?

I easily have melancholy as properly, i've got had it for greater advantageous than two decades. i might recommend which you supply your medical doctors time to discover the perfect dosage and mix of drugs that show you how to maximum suitable. while you're having concern with team instructions, perhaps you are able to ask for deepest instructions for a collectively as until eventually you're greater suitable waiting to deal with team circumstances. in case you have concern getting off the mattress, perhaps a canines isn't the main suitable greater healthful for you on the time. i'm able to comprehend desiring something that's no longer judgmental which will love you unconditionally, yet you would be responsible for strolling, feeding, cleansing up after it. it particularly is a great duty, and while you're having concern having to shelter a canines may additionally positioned greater tension on you. As you're 15, your loved ones might additionally ought to conform to enable the animal into their living house. Your mum and dad or guardians may be responsible for paying vet expenses and nutrition expenses. have you ever considered in the event that they are waiting that might assist you with this? have you ever considered having a cat (or a rodent which includes gerbils, mice, Guinea pigs, hedgehogs or different small creature) , which nevertheless desires love and affection, yet you have got a muddle field and not ought to agonize lots approximately taking it out for scheduled potty breaks and exercising , you ought to nevertheless have something to love and a reason to stay.