SSD with External Harddrive vs Internal hard drive only?

So which one is better for a laptop?

A 128 GD SDD + external hard drive

VS

A 500GB Hard Drive @ 7200 rpm

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends on a few factors.

1) Is performance important? The SSD will perform much better than the HDD as your operating system drive.

2) Do you need a lot of space? The HDD will hold more, but this is a smaller consideration since you can get the external drive. If you don't need a lot of space, go with the SSD for performance and then if you decide later that you need more room, you can get the external hard drive.

3) Is portability a primary concern? An external hard drive adds a complication to the issue of moving the laptop from place to place, so this might be a concern as well.

My advice? Go with the SSD, it's more reliable than a HDD, performs faster, and is just overall better than a HDD.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

the internal one is qute safe i got both on my pc external and internal and both are 80 gig the external one is 2.5" and is quite handy to transfer stuffs but the internal one is a normal one seagate and is S-ATA and thus faster than the external one and yeah external one is quite handy as in portable and usefull for backup but in the end it is upto u which one to buy both are kewl but yea both have the same life span but i guess the internal one has more life span coz u rarely interact with it thru ur hands and it is fixed at one place

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.