Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

Which would be a better dog for me - Pomeranian or Papillon?

Hi! I live in a medium-sized apartment with my husband and our cat. I would really like to purchase a dog, but I'm unsure which breed would be more appropriate for my lifestyle - a Pomeranian or a Papillon. I am an active person, and would be able to take my dog for a walk almost everyday. I am also fine with grooming a dog. I need a breed that isn't overly 'yappy', and a dog that will be a good companion. Which breed should I choose??

Thanks so much for your help!

Best Answer

I have a papillon and i had a pomeranian who moved when my mom moved. They are both yappers but i believe the papillon can be trained better. They also seem to be more athletic whereas the pom seems to just want to relax all day. Also the pomeranian needs more attention as far as grooming goes. I love both breeds but tpy breeds can be harder to potty train and are quite a bit yappier.

i would say both of those breeds are yappy but out of Pomeranian or a Papillon I think that a Papillon would be better. Maybe you could get a Shih Tzu they are not very yappy. Something also is that i think if you get a dog you should really really try to walk the puppy or dog at LEAST once a day

I would say a Papillon sounds good.

They don't need a whole lot of exercise, but it is vital that they have two half-hour walks every single day. They do require more grooming than, say, a short-haired dog, but it's not terribly difficult. In my experience, they don't bark much at all. Expect all dogs to bark, but some more than others. Papillons also make wonderful lap dogs and will gladly lie down next to you for hours.

Please make sure that you don't get one from a puppy mill or backyard breeder. Inspect the puppy very carefully for health issues, the parents if available, and the breeding facilities. If any of these services are denied to you, don't get the puppy. The breeder is obviously trying to hide something.

• I personally prefer papillons. Your lifestyle sounds like it would fit one perfectly. They need exercise, but a walk everyday should do it.

They are also very sweet dogs and get very attached to their owners. They can, however, be wary of strangers, but after a while get used to them.

All smaller dogs bark more often than large breeds, but Papillons are not excessive barkers. Pomeranians bark much more than Papillons.

Papillons need a lot of grooming to keep their long hair unknotted, but with enough maintenance, you will be fine.

They are great dogs, and i think you will be really happy with one.

Good luck and hope this helps:)

• Personally, I would pick the Papillon over the Pomeranian. I have been around both types of dogs and the Pom was definitely a yapper. But, each dog is different so I can't claim that all would be that way.

Neither of those dogs sound good, They are both yappy dogs. How about a Shih Tzu? They are great companion dogs that's what they were bread for and they are quiet dogs. They don't need a whole lot of excersice and would love to go on your occasional walks or even everyday if you had the time. But they do need to go outside everyday to potty, every dog needs that.

• Kendra

Papillons are often too quick to sound the alarm at every new sight and sound. You have to be equally quick to stop them.

Pomeranians are often too quick to sound the alarm at every new sight and sound. You have to be equally quick to stop them. If you work all day and have close neighbors, Pomeranians are not a good choice for you. For the same reason, Pomeranians should NEVER be left outside in your yard, unsupervised. To make matters worse, some Poms have high-pitched barks that can set your teeth on edge.

A dog should be taken out every day, not ALMOST every day... Especially when you live in apartament. It is important for the dog to be excersised, fed and to be shown love and affection. To be honest I think you are better off sticking with your cat...or maybe get another kitten to keep you lot company!

Hi! You may want to take this short quiz to figure out what type of dog best suits your personality.

http://lnk.nu/dogtime.com/rxb

• gagon

Your difficulty ought to lie with the Greyhound, no longer the small canine. Many greyhounds can not stay with small canines using their extreme preypersistent. i would not advise the two of those breeds. the two may well be yappy and in-your-face, and you do no longer choose something troublesome the greyhound.