Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Can I go to jail for denying the holocaust in Canada?

• Favorite Answer

What you MEANT to say was "Can I go to jail, in Canada, for denying the holocaust?

The answer is "If you go too far in doing so, yes."

I can say "I don't believe the holocaust occurred" and suffer no more punishment than the ridicule of my peers.

However, if I go and publish books and other materials and actively promote the concept that Jews lied and that the Holocaust is part of a worldwide Jewish conspiracy, can be charged with inciting hatred. It's very unusual for that to happen, the bar is VERY high to merit charges, and thus charges have been laid in only a handful of cases, but the law does exist.

So the short answer is that you can't go to jail simply for denying the Holocaust occurred. You CAN go to jail (in rare instances) for inciting hatred against Jews (or any other identifiable group). Since you can't actively deny the Holocaust without inferring some sinister plot, the two always go hand in hand.

First off, I disagree with the grammatical corrections. The question is structurally ambiguous, and can bear the meaning which is obviously intended.

As for the answer...holocaust denier Ernst Zundel has been repeatedly jailed for spreading literature "likely to incite hatred against an identifiable group."

James Keegstra attempted to teach his high school students that the holocaust never happened, and was convicted of "wilfully inciting hatred against an identifiable group". He wasn't jailed, but faced other criminal sanctions.

At its core, these convictions turned not on the actual denial of the holocaust, but on the espousing of other racial views that invariably go hand-in-hand with holocaust denial. So the answer is both no and yes: It's not for denying the holocaust that holocaust deniers go to jail, it's for all the other garbage they say.

• Leah5 years agoReport

Yeah but Ernst Zundel went all the way to the Supreme Court three times and won each time didn t he?

You can't even go to jail for denying the holocaust in Germany, which actually did happen, so I doubt that you can go to jail for denying the holocaust in Canada, which didn't.

The only ones I know of that deny the holocaust are antisemitic, which is a different charge.

• Paul5 years agoReport

What a load of ********. You can certainly go to Jail for it in Germany, in fact, at times they have also jailed lawyers for representing people fighting the charge!..

There was never a holocaust in Canada so how could you go to jail for denying it.

• John7 years agoReport

Some natives might argue.

Either an austrian or german guy went to jail for denying it. If you wish to deny it yourself, please provide the whereabouts of over 6 million jews.

If you verbally deny it, probably not. If you send propaganda to people, maybe. If you commit violence or destroy property, yes you can.

• .

Might as well deny gravity too

Of course not