This Laptop vs a self build desktop computer?

I want a new computer but i can't decide between a laptop or a desktop. This laptop has to last me about 5 years. The laptop is a HP and has 4 gb of ram Intel Core i5 processor. I thought it was the quad core but it's the duel core model. For the Desktop i was thinking of going bigger and having a Core i5 or i7 can't decide 4-6 gbs of ram and a decent size hard drive running on windows 7 professional or ultimate. The thing is want the laptop for portability but i have a Ipod touch so i might not need it.

Update:

Yes I will be running 64bit version of windows. The only reason I want more ram is because I want to have this computer for an extended period of time.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you require the portability, then go for a laptop, however, I cannot ever recall a laptop being transported daily ever lasting more than 3 years tops. My own experience with HP laptops has been 12~15 months tops when using it daily and transporting it.

Now when making the decision financially, the desktop will always win. To reach the level of performance of a $1000 desktop, will run almost twice that for a laptop. Even with a laptop for regular use you will find that an external mouse and external keyboard become required. The limited screen size will likely have you even purchasing an external monitor and a second power adaptor. The battery in the laptop will have to be replaced in the second year and likely the fourth year. The price for the replacement batteries and the second power brick could be the replacement hardware for the desktop.

Lastly comes the storage question. The laptop will never come with over 1Tb of hard drive or near the graphics performance of a midrange (in $$$) video card.

The two systems below reflect a high end laptop versus a fairly extreme desktop with roughly twice the specs of the laptop.

dv6t series $1742.98

Color Espresso Black edit

Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit edit

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-430M Dual Core processor (2.26GHz, 3MB L2 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.53GHz edit

Memory 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) edit

Hard drive 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection edit

Graphics card 512MB NVIDIA GeForce G 105M edit

Display 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768) edit

Primary optical drive Lightscribe Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support edit

Personalization Webcam + Microphone edit

Networking Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth edit

TV & entertainment experience No TV Tuner w/remote control edit

Keyboard HP Color Matching Keyboard edit

Primary battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery edit

Modem Port Integrated 56K Modem edit

OS and recovery media $10 OFF! System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit edit

Productivity software Microsoft(R) Works 9.0 edit

Your additional options:

Click edit to modify. NOTE: These items are in stock and will ship immediately.

HP Care Pack Services 3-year HP Care Pack Total One Service with House Call and Accidental Damage Protection for Laptop PC edit

Your HPE-170t series $1914.27

Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit edit

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-860 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache] edit

Memory FREE UPGRADE! 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs] from 6GB edit

Hard drive 1.5TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive edit

Graphics card 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 [DVI, HDMI, VGA] edit

Primary optical drive Blu-ray player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner edit

Secondary optical drive 16x max. DVD ROM (player) edit

Networking Premium Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R) edit

Front Productivity Ports 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio edit

TV & entertainment experience No TV Tuner edit

Sound Card Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports edit

Speakers HP stereo speakers with subwoofer and remote 30W edit

Keyboard and Mouse HP wireless keyboard and HP wireless optical mouse edit

Productivity software Microsoft(R) Works 9.0 edit

Security software Norton Internet Security(TM) 2010 - 15 month edit

Your additional options:

Click edit to modify. NOTE: These items are in stock and will ship immediately.

Monitor HP w2338h 23-inch 16:9 Full HD Widescreen Monitor edit

HP Care Pack Services 3-year HP Care Pack House Call Service edit

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

400-700 price range won't get you much of a laptop. You get a laptop because you want portability. If you don't need portability get a desktop. With a desktop whatever you get now you can easily expand on. For example, most gamers by a top on video card (think 400-700 for that card alone). The point is that when you need more speed later it will be cheaper to expand your desktop than buy a new laptop.

• Frank
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

depends on what you intend to use it for, for playing video games, go desktop, for fastest performance per dollar, go desktop. For portability get a laptop, that's the only good thing about laptops. Good thing about a desktop is you can upgrade main components for not very much money, so in five years you can upgrade just the motherboard and cpu or graphics card, instead of having to replace the whole thing like you would with a laptop. I would get a desktop for sure.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the only reason to get more tahn 4 gb of ram is if you're using 64-bit windows...

as for anything else, need more info...

i always build my own desktops and have no need for laptops.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.