Amy A asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 1 decade ago

How to apply foundation?

Should you use your fingers, sponges, or brushes?

If sponges or brushes elaborate on what kind please. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

If you're using powder or mineral foundation, take a foundation brush (a blush brush will also work) and dip it in the foundation (just a tiny bit). Tap off any excess product. Then just close your eyes and swirl it over your face evenly. You may apply more layers, depending on the coverage you need (just don’t cake it on or put too much). It's good to have setting spray with you if it starts to look too powdery. Ecotools makes high quality eco-friendly and cruelty-free brushes. I especially like the face brushes; they're extremely soft and pick up a lot of product.

As for liquid foundation or tinted moisturizer, just apply a pea-sized amount to your fingers or a sponge (wedge sponges are the best; you can just get a pack at CVS). First dot it on your forehead, both cheeks, and chin. Then spread/stipple (pretty much dabbing) it around your face. When you’re spreading it, it’s best to go in a criss-cross motion to avoid streak marks. Like powder foundation, you can layer it. You might like an additional loose powder to set and complete the look.

I have to disagree with Ginny; both sponges and brushes need to be washed with brush cleaner (detergent with a bit of extra virgin olive oil also works). Brushes can also pick up bacteria, too (pretty much any method of applying makeup isn't that sanitary). As for the person who said to use a Q-tip, that's just ridiculous. Think of how many streak marks you would get and the time you would waste applying your foundation that way.

• Ginny

uhh..the person who said use a q-tip has no idea what they're talking about. sponges aren't really recommended for applying because they're the least sanitary. think about it, they're wiping across your face and getting bacteria on it..so if you re-use it you're also just reapplying oil, dirt, bacteria, etc. and it builds up over time on the sponge. so don't use a sponge unless you plan on using a new one pretty much everytime. it's fine to use your fingers but wash your hands immediately before (and after too, of course) you touch your face. if you use a brush, you should wash it regularly as well, there are lots and lots of brush cleaners out there. if you use a brush I'd recommend using a stippling brush or a foundation brush. target as a brand called studio tools, which has a very good foundation and stippling brush. sonia kashuk brushes are also available at target as well.

They have a kind you can buy of a sponge and they are in a triangle look I don't know what they're called I know my cousin and I buy them from WalMart for like 1 dollar. And they're made for foundation. You should NEVER use your fingers because it would probably break your face out. Really you shouldn't touch your face at all. Your hands are the dirtiest parts of your body. I would use a type of sponge. Good Luck!

Really people say you need this & you need that to apply this & that.

Really, you don't.

Maybe yes, it might work a slight better but at least your saving your money.

I just apply my foundation with a fingers. Works just as good with me without a brush.

Just remember, don't put on to much foundation to your face.

It can cause breakouts & pimples.

You could also check out youtube for applying foundation.

People can give you tips & help you on all your questions. :)

www.youtube.com

Source(s): Myself. :)

well i use a meduim brush by the brand M.A.C , move it in a circular motion and your face should look flawless then for the finishing touch add powder and it will make your skin look pretty and natural almost like your not wearing make up :) , but this depends on whats brand of make up you use , the brand i use is M.A.C (best make up brand i ever used, but is exspensive)

• use a q-tip.

dip the end of the q-tip in the foundation and rub the q-tip on your forhead nose cheeks and chin. and rub in with your hands so there are no lines.

Source(s): experience.
  • Lizzie

it is has more then kust foundation but maybe it will help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ZhRw1F7nM

Youtube thumbnail