Breastfeeding Moms - how often does your 9-10 month old nurse?

My daughter is 9.5 months and still breastfed. She nurses about every 4 hours during the day and 2-4 times at night. However, during the day, she doesn't nurse well. She becomes very easily distracted. I am worried that she is not getting enough. She eats solids well, and pretty much eats what we eat now. Should I still be limiting her solid intake? She eats about 2 meals a day and one snack. She is tiny - around the 10th percentile - but LOVES to eat real food.

How much breastmilk should she be drinking at this age? Experience? Suggestions? Others suggested feeding her in a dark quiet room, but I also have a 3 year old and this is not possible most of the time.

She nurses well at night, because she is tired and it is quiet and dark.

K- Thanks for your answer. One more question - at her age, I don't need to worry about too much solids anymore?? I used to be afraid of giving her too much solids. She would continue to eat as long as I keep putting food on her tray! Is there such thing as too much at her age?

And babyruth - "daughter" is a girl ("she", not "he"). And actually, 9.5 months is not long enough in my opinion.

• 123
    Favorite Answer

mine started nursing a lot more at this age but I think it's normal for babies to want to nurse less, especially since she's probably crawling and walking and cruising around. you don't have to limit solids because it's natural for a baby to eventually wean off -- every 4 hours during the day is perfectly fine (it's rare for a baby to self-wean before 18 months though, but it sounds like she's just cutting down).

one thing to remember is that breast milk is more caloric than most solids -- try cutting that snack out perhaps, if you think that she's not gaining a lot. she won't gain a lot now anyways though, because they become more active. just make sure she's having at least 4-6 wet diapers a day. does she have a sippy or cup at all during the day too? make sure you continue to nurse before she eats too, so that she's getting her fill of milk before food and offer it often. try getting her and nursing her every 1 or 2 hours during the day. she's also becoming really efficient at nursing so she's taking in more than you think. also, if she's nursing well at night that's good too, as long as it's not bothering you. it's all about the milk she takes in within a 24 hour period, not just during the day time. sounds like you're doing fine :)

So she's nursing about 3-4 times during the day and 2-4 at night? That sounds fine. It's very normal for babies to be easily distracted at this age, and it's good that you're letting her continue to nurse at night because she probably is getting a lot of her fat/calories then. It's also possible that she's getting more than you think during the day since babies can be remarkably efficient at this age and sometimes only need 5-10 minutes to get a good feeding in.

I agree with the other response that said that as long as she's feeding herself during the day, go ahead and let her keep eating. If you're concerned about her weight, you could offer a bit more of the higher-calorie foods -- avocado, banana, meat, eggs, potatoes, etc.

My three kids were all very different with their nursing and solid food habits. My oldest only nursed once at night at 9-10 months and about 5-6 times during the day. She also loved her solids and was eating 3 times a day at that age. My middle child nursed about a million times a day/night and barely ate any solids until she was around a year old. My youngest nursed often, too (about 8-12 times per day/night), but he was also very easily distracted by his big sisters, so his daytime nursing sessions were very, very short. He loved solids, but would have been happy to live on fruits for most of that first year, so solids certainly weren't filling him up.

Anyway, it sounds like your daughter is doing just fine. As long as she has plenty of wet/dirty diapers and is gaining weight well, there's no need to change anything. (It doesn't matter what percentile she's in as long as she continues to follow her own curve.)

At 3 months, heck pretty much until they start eating something else it was about 10-12 times in 24 hours, with 2-3 nursings at night. As long as they are satisfied, growing and gaining, it's all good.

• abc123

Solids are not necessary at that age, but if your baby likes them its okay. But breastmilk should remain the main source of your babies nutrition. My son is breastfed, he's 10 months. He doesn't really eat any solids except maybe a few bites of veggies or whatever from our plates throughout the day. Until the last week or so he ate about every 4 hours, skipping one meal at night, or the equivilant. Now, after his last growth spurt he goes anywhere from 4 to 6 hours during the day. I just follow his lead. He's gaining weight fine and is happy so I'm not concerned.

• K

It is very, very normal for there to be a drop-off around 8-11mo, 9-10mo being spot on. If she is feeding herself I wouldn't limit the solids.

Just keep offering to nurse in the usual places at the usual times and she'll go back to being a more enthusiastic nurser before long. Don't worry in the meantime; there's no reason to think she's not making up for things at night. Go by diapers, contentment, general health, and relax.

I would just quit breastfeeding. wean him off. 10 months is long enough. that's my opinion though.