What is Space quantitatively?

What is Measuring Space Quantitatively?

Update:

Well this it what my topic is for my science project and i cant figure out how to do this.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Quantitatively means, "How much." Are you sure you didn't mean "qualitatively"?

There are two schools of thought on the quantity of space. It is either finite or infinite. I say, "infinite". Some who say, "finite", believe it fills a sphere about 14 billion light years across, and gravity warps it so that the radius is the diameter. That makes the volume about 4/3 pi times 14 billion cubed = 1.15 x 10^31 ly³ = 10^79 m³. Inflation theorists are more vague about the size of the universe. They say it is finite but much larger than the Hubble sphere. The part that we can see is about 10^80 m³.

Besides volume, space is believed by some to have a tremendous amount of mass---about 10^120 grams per cubic centimeter. That's like the entire mass of all the matter in the universe packed into empty space the size of an atom! Personally, I can believe that the ether has that much inertial mass, but zero gravitational mass.

If you want to know qualitatively, I have an answer, but you'll have to ask the right question.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

This question is either nonsense from a scientific viewpoint, or at least the answer is beyond our knowledge. Space as a whole is presumably larger than the universe. I mean, our universe.

In assuming that our universe has been created by the big bang - an idea that is widely accepted within the scientific community - then it's finite and we can tentatively evaluate its supposedly equal quantities of matter and antimatter, and also its size according to estimates regarding its age and its velocity of expansion, should it continue to expand.

This said, measuring our universe is a completely different thing, as we can't really measure what we can't see, whether we see it through our eyes or through other means of perception, either directly or indirectly. Secondly, if the action of measuring would imply a count of all perceivable things in assuming everything could be perceived, the time necessary to perform this act would probably be so huge that the whole human species would extinct multiple times before we would be able to know the answer. But, in principle, the idea of measuring our universe, although non obvious, is still conceivable simply because it's finite.

Now when it comes to space, we don't know whether it's finite or infinite, but it seems very likely for us that the latter would be true. In this case, the idea of measuring it would be nonsense. Now, should it extend to an unknown limit far beyond the borders of our universe, its measurement would be far less obvious and even inconceivable, due to the impossibility for us to represent what would lie beyond these borders according to our current level of knowledge.

In any case up to now, the answer for us doesn't belong exactly to mathematics and science, but to philosophy and imagination.

• 1 decade ago

Well, ..., quantitatively speaking. Space is, well, space.

We have inner-space here on earth and at sea-level inner-space contains 10^9 particles per cm^3. Space that is outside of our earthly realm is known as "Outer Space" or "the space out there". On average it contains 10^3 particles per cm^3. As you can see the particles in "Outer Space" are really, ..., uh, ... spaced out! ;)

• Alexis
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Space and time are nonquantized.

All measurements of space are arbitrary, unless they are based on some universal constant (i.e.: Planck length or second, width of a particular atom, radioactive decay rate of an element, etc.)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.