Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Am I the only one who feels like my faith is strengthened by Richard Dawkins and his pompous squawking?

Seriously. That guy makes God deniers look so bad. I almost feel guilty by how easily he makes me feel confident that God is amazing and I am incredibly fortunate to know what I know.

Favorite Answer

Richard Dawkins is only extreme because religion is that way. Notice how he doesn't say he knows God doesn't exist. He would never say such a thing because it is unscientific. What Dawkins is against is organized religion and it's negative effects on society. If you want to believe in God Dawkins is fine with it. What he is against are the evangelical extremists who are against science and overall progression. When people like Ray Comfort or other popular evangelicals go around telling people that evolution or other scientific theories are a lie while bring no evidence of their own to the table, it is a disgrace to our species and a slap in the face to all we have accomplished scientifically in the last 500 years.

This is what both Dawkins and myself are against.

• YY4Me

If your faith -- belief without evidence and/or despite evidence to the contrary -- is strengthened by listening to Richard Dawkins, you haven't really been listening.

- - -

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world." - Arthur Schopenhauer

"If all the achievements of scientists were wiped out tomorrow, there would be no doctors but witch doctors, no transport faster than horses, no computers, no printed books, no agriculture beyond subsistence peasant farming. If all the achievements of theologians were wiped out tomorrow, would anyone notice the smallest difference?" -Richard Dawkins, "The Emptiness of Theology"

apophenia: In psychology, the perception of connections and meaningfulness in unrelated things. Apophenia can be a normal phenomenon or an abnormal one, as in paranoid schizophrenia when the patient sees ominous patterns where there are none.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein

"Religious people believe in irrational things because it makes them feel good. Atheists feel good because they believe in rational things." - Mano Singham

"The disciplining force of society is at its most effective when its human origins are denied or covered up. The admission that society - with all its prescriptions and proscriptions, rewards for obedience and punishments for veering off the line - rests ultimately on man-made choices and decisions invites critical scrutiny, dissent and resistance: What has been done by humans can be undone by humans. No wonder that throughout the modern era, attempts were made and continue to be made to represent the grounds for the demands of power-holders as beyond human capacity." - Zygmunt Bauman

"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics." - Robert Heinlein

"Of all the tyrannies that afflict mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst. Every other species of tyranny is limited to the world we live in, but this attempts a stride beyond the grave and seeks to pursue us into eternity." - Thomas Paine

.

Source(s): . ~ "A mind is a terrible thing to waste." ~ .
  • Leela

He's helped me trade very silly religious ideas for a love in science and reason! I am 1,000 times happier being a person who trusts in evidence and science rather than an invisible (most likely nonexistent) friend.

Get with it man! Science is way way cooler and more useful than magic, fairies and gods!

Faith is essentially believing things which are not true. So anything which helps you to understand what is true, and why it is true, can help your faith.

You just have to believe the opposite.

Yes it's SO POMPOUS to talk about evolution and why having imaginary friends can be dangerous, but happily telling atheists and other nonChristians they'll burn in hell forever, totally NOT pompous.

/end sarcasm

I feel sorry for you and your desire to hand over your humanity so carelessly.