Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomManchester · 1 decade ago

City of Manchester or Manchester United?

So there are 2 clubs in the same city...

I'm new to English football, so perhaps someone could explain this to me:

How do Manchester citizens choose which team to follow?

Let me give an analogue with baseball: in the MLB, people on the north side of Chicago follow the Cubs, whereas people on the south side of Chicago follow the White Sox.

What determines the fans for the Manchester teams?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's Manchester City, but they play at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Lots of cities have more than one big (and several smaller) football teams: - Liverpool: Liverpool and Everton (and Tranmere just over the river); Glasgow: Celtic and Rangers (and that one is a religious distinction); Edinburgh: Hibs and Hearts; Birmingham: Birmingham City and Aston Villa (and West Bromwich Albion, and Wolverhampton Wanderers not far away); Stoke: Stoke City and Port Vale. London: Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham, Fulham...

For Manchester, the joke is that people from Manchester support City, while United's fans come from everywhere but Manchester!

Who you support is usually a family tradition (though it's common in Liverpool for families to be split between the clubs), however once you do choose a team, it's certainly not done to switch later - once you support a team, they're your team for life!

Religion is not a basis for selecting a team in England (though in Scotland Celtic and Hibs are the "Catholic" teams in Glasgow and Edinburgh, while Rangers and Hearts are the "Protestant" teams), though in London, Spurs have a reputation for being slightly more a Jewish team than most, but that's just because most of London's Jewish population live in their area. In Liverpool, both teams originated from the same church social team - Everton was the original team, and Liverpool FC broke away after a dispute over rent for the ground in 1892. In Manchester, City grew out of the cricket club of St Marks' Church in Gorton, while United started out as the works team of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway works at Newton Heath.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most cities in the UK have more than 1 football team. London has about 12.

Which team you follow tends to be something that you are brought up with - but not necessarily. There are a lot of fans who just follow a team because they are succesful even though they have no real connection with that city or team - the so-called Glory hunting fans which are so prevalent in United's support.

for the record though - Manchester United's ground is not strictly within the city of Manchester

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its Manchester United and Manchester City

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Everyone that actually lives IN Manchester goes for Manchester City, whereas the Manchester United Fans tend to be from all around the world(because they are just glory hunters)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • carina
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

the city of Manchester is the place

the football team is Manchester City

sorry, just a slight change of words makes a lot of difference

I'm not from Manchester but I understood that Man City was the catholic team and ManU was the protestant

• 5 years ago

i in my view decide for guy city to win the league cuz guy Utd have gained it too many cases interior the final twenty years, although if it is with the aid of fact of oil money on my own! i think of city will improve whilst Tevez comes lower back yet United will stay on the threshold of them until the surprising interest! So city for me...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.